"Do I really like this girl?"

"Yes."

"Like her enough to consider being in a relationship?"

"I suppose so."

"But the difference is fundamental?"

"Yes."

He put the glass on the counter and turned his body so he was wholly facing me. "Then I guess I'll just enjoy her company. Just because I like her doesn't mean I have to be in a relationship with her."

"Right. Puro ka fling."

Tumawa siya. "Ang judger, Cha," sabi niya. "Kapag nagka-girlfriend ako, syempre seseryosohin ko 'yun... Kaya nga wala kasi wala pa akong nahahanap na seryoso talaga," he continued. "I'll just enjoy and see where things will go... Malay ko ba kung sa future mag-iba iyong perspective ko o kung mag-iba iyong sa kanya?"

Hindi ako nagsalita.

"I won't close the door and just let things run their course," he finally said before raising his glass and downing his drink.

* * *

At the end of the week, I sent a text to Iñigo asking if he's free to see me. I immediately received a text asking kung saan at kailan. Kaya naman maaga akong nagsabi na aalis ako—usually ay late na ako nakaka-uwi dahil sa dami ng trabaho.

Iñigo was already there when I arrived. Humigpit ang hawak ko sa envelope na dala ko. He waved at me and smiled. I smiled at him, too. God, I missed him.

Agad siyang tumayo nang malapit na ako.

"Can I hug you?" he asked.

"Sure," I replied, feeling weird that he had to ask that when we'd done more than that already... But maybe like me, he was in a weird place, too. After our conversation last time, it was unclear where we're standing on.

We ordered food first. Medyo nailang ako dahil ramdam na ramdam ko ang mga mata sa akin ni Iñigo.

"Iñigo," I said after a while.

"Yes?" he replied softly. He was still unabashedly looking at me. He wasn't even trying to hide it. Napa-abot ako sa baso sa harapan ko at mabilis na ininom iyong tubig.

"I've thought about us," I began and his eyes suddenly became alert. I could feel the tension coming from his side... It was as if I could hear his heart beating loudly, waiting for what I was about to say next. "I really like you—"

"I like you a lot," he said, cutting me off.

I smiled. Sadly. Why was this so hard?

"We talked about our differences and honestly, I don't want to fight about that anymore... but I also want you in my life still..."

He nodded. "I want that, too."

Huminga ako nang malalim.

I grabbed the envelope that was resting on my lap and slid it over to his side. Kumunot ang noo niya habang naka-tingin doon.

"What... is this?" he asked, looking at me with confusion written all over his face. Hindi agad ako nakapagsalita. He took that as a sign to open the folder and read the content for himself. I saw how his face went from confusion to irritation—on how his jaw clenched with visible displeasure.

Ibinaba niya iyong papel.

"I want a real relationship, Cha," he said with controlled anger. "I'm done with your fucking contract. 'Di naman tayo bata."

Huminga ako nang malalim.

Hindi pa rin mahanap iyong tamang salita.

"What the hell is this even?" he asked, holding the revised contract. "That I'm allowed to kiss you, hold you, touch you, sleep with you—as long as I don't do it in public places? And I'm not allowed to ask you personal things? Ano'ng kagaguhan 'to?"