Chapter 4 - London en Route Paris (II)

Ria

I got out of the airport and caught a taxi to my hotel. It was night time but the streets of Paris looked nothing less magical. Yellows, oranges and reds everywhere. It wasn't that late, around dinner time actually. The restaurants and cafes were filled with people; some were alone, some in couples and some in huge groups, all enjoying their five star dinners. As much as I wanted have something to eat from these restaurants, I was too tired and wanted to go to my room and just sleep. I guess it's just jet lag.

Le Bristol Paris – the Hotel I was staying at - was just as grand as it sounded. It had a grand entrance with a fancy chandelier. With a porter waiting outside to take my baggage and really friendly receptionists, there was nothing wrong about this place. I got my key and was guided to my room. The door to the bedroom was open and all I could think of was to sleep. When I entered the room there were a few bags in the corner, but I was too tired to do any thinking so I just dragged myself to the grand bed and fell fast asleep. 

Rohan

I think I heard a click on the door when I was getting ready in the bathroom. I don't know but these big hotels always give me wrong ideas. I quickly put on my pair of jockeys and tracksuit and headed out. 

First came the living room. Clear, except for some new bags that I don't remember having. If there was to be an intruder they would go straight to the bedroom as that's where my bags are. Although I'm not sure what they would find in my bags except for clothes and blueprints for the new skyscraper my company is building here in Paris.

I enter the bedroom like James Bond. To be honest, I'm scared, completely and utterly scared. My eyes shoot straight towards the corner my bags were in. They've not been touched. They’re in the same place and zipped and locked just as I left them. I look around the room to see if anything has actually changed or am I going crazy thinking there is someone here. My eyes fall on the bed. It's bumpy. It's funny; I don't remember sleeping so the bed can't be messy. No wait! There's someone sleeping in my bed!

I slowly walk around to the bed. I can't see the face as it's covered by the duvet. I want to pull it off but I don't know, the figure seems to be in a deep sleep and I know how annoying it is when you're in a deep sleep and someone wakes you up. You know what? I'm just going to wait till they wake up and tell me their true intentions; I mean they haven't done anything wrong other than just sleep on my bed. There's just one problem, where exactly am I supposed to sleep? Actually make that two, where am I supposed to sleep and even if I do find a place to sleep and actually fall asleep after the couple of sleepless nights I've had, how am I supposed to know who the stranger is, what if they leave?

"Forget it!" I whisper to myself, I'm just going to help myself to a drink and relax. Yet another addition to the many sleepless nights I've had lately.

Ria

I woke up at 2:30am – local time – thanks to a nightmare where someone was trying to break into my room and steal my entire luggage, especially the Gujarati snacks my mum had packed! I was hungry. It’s funny how hungry I’ve been getting lately; there used to be a time where I skipped lunches and dinners, but now, it seemed like I needed something to nibble on every two seconds.

I walked out the room to the living room where my bags were. I didn’t feel like having a proper meal, actually I couldn’t have one either, it was 2:30 at night and I’m sure the room service didn’t provide service at this time. The TV’s lights were flickering; I don’t remember turning it on though. An instant chill ran down my spine. Was my nightmare coming true? I shuffled around to the corner where the TV is and nearly let out a scream at what I see.