Part Two - Chapter One: Graduation (I)

Part two:

Chapter one: Graduation (I)

 Ria

Finally after four years of intense highlighting and debating I am about to get my respected degree in Law and Legal Studies. The hall was filling up fast with friends and families of my colleagues. Where were my parents! I couldn’t see them anywhere.

“Please be on time for once” I whispered to myself. Gujarati’s may be known for their great business skills and all but one thing they are not good at is being on time for anything. But my parents! They can’t afford miss their one and only daughter’s graduation. Just then a woman in an aqua sari steps into the hall, I knew instantly that, that was my mother, my beloved mother who will not spare a chance to wear a sari. She was followed by my dad and finally my younger brother, Jay.

My eyes meet mums, and she started waving frantically like a maniac as though this was the first time she’d seen me in years. Although I don’t blame her either, I’ve been so busy studying for the past four years that I hardly even see them. We may live in the same house but I was always jammed inside my room highlighting and writing out arguments that we hardly ever saw each other.

She started walking towards me; I crossed my fingers hoping she doesn’t fall over that 6 metre long cloth wrapped around her.

“I’m so proud of you” she said gleefully, “my daughter’s becoming a liar.”

Oh god, not again! “It’s Lawyer mum!” I corrected her.

“Yeah, yeah you understand right?”

As much as I love my mum for everything, I really wish she didn’t “try” to speak in English.

“Ladies and Gentlemen, please take your seats the graduation ceremony is about to begin.” The nights anchor announced.

With one last tap on the back mum headed towards her seat beside dad and Jay.