Part 23: Sophia

*Daryl's POV*

Rick came back without Sophia. He said he told her to come back to the highway, while he took care of some walkers.

    Right now me, Rick, Shane, and the Asian kid Glenn are out lookin' for her. Rick takes us to a creek, right by a small cave like thing.

    "Sure this is the spot?" I ask him. Looking around on the ground for a trail.

    "I left her right here. I drew the walkers way off in that direction up the creek." He starts to explain. "She was gone by the time I got back here. I figured she just took off and ran back to the group. I told her go that way and keep the sun on her left shoulder." He continued.

    As I was looking around, Glenn was walking all over the place, not being careful of possible trails.

    "Hey, short round, why don't you step off to one side? You're mucking up the trail." I scold him. Making him move.

    "Assuming she knows her left from her right." Shane says to Rick. He just shakes his head.

    "Shane, she understood me fine." He tells the man.

"Kid's tired and scared, man." Shane informs. "She had her a close call with two walkers. Got to wonder how much of what you said stuck."

"Got clear prints right here." I say seeing prints leading towards the highway. " She did like you said, headed back to the highway."

"Let's spread out, make our way back. She couldn't have gone far." Shane orders, making me roll my eyes, ordering me around. Shane looks to Rick, who is looking guilty, and puts his hand on the mans shoulder. "Hey, we gonna find her. She'll be tuckered out hiding in a bush somewhere."

"She was doing just fine till right here. All she had to do was keep going." I say, seeing the tracks turn into another direction. "She veered off that way."

"Why would she do that?" Glenn asks.

"Maybe she saw something that spooked her, made her run off." Rick suggested. I shake my head.

"A walker?" Glenn asks.

"I don't see any other footprints. Just hers." I say and shake my head again.

"So what do we do? All of us press on?" Shane asks Rick.

"No, better if you and Glenn get back up to the highway. People are gonna start panicking." Rick tells him. "Let them know we're on her trail doing everything we can. But most of all, keep everybody calm."

"I'll keep 'em busy scavenging cars. Think up a few other chores. I'll keep 'em occupied." Shane answers nodding. I roll my eyes again. That ain't gonna keep Carol calm. Her daughter is out here. If it were my daughter nobody was gonna keep me calm by giving me chores.

They walk back to the highway leaving me and Rick to keep searching.

*Hayley's POV*

Shane and Glenn came back without my dad, or Rick. So I'm worried about them.

Dale was trying to get the RV to start while everyone else is moving cars. Shane gave me the job of sitting with my sister while they did.

I'm sitting against the RV and Maddie is sitting beside me. I'm watching the others work.

"Why aren't we all out there looking? Why are we moving cars?" I hear Carol say to Shane. She is extremely worried. But that's a given, her daughter is possibly dead.