Part 48: Where We Belong

*Hayley's POV*

    We were walking through the woods again. As Merle started up.

    "The shit you doing, pointing that thing at me?" Merle griped at dad after the Mexican family left.

    "They were scared, man." Daddy defended.

    "They were rude is what they were. Rude and they owed us a token of gratitude." Merle stated and I scoffed making him look to me. "The hells your problem?"

    "They didn't owe us nothing. Especially not you. You only killed one walker while them and daddy killed the rest. Only reason you killed the one wasn't even for them. Then you sat back and watched as the guy I helped almost got his face bitten off!" I replied raising my voice at the end. Truth is I've been holding my anger towards him back since I woke up in that truck before we left.

    I know he knew about Taylor. Just didn't tell me. I just pray he had nothing to do with it.

    I'm taken out of my thoughts as Merle snatched my hand into his grip catching my attention. Stopping me from walking and getting in my face.

    "You watch your tone with me little girl." He said threateningly.

   "That what you told Taylor too?" I glare at him. But flinch back when he raised his hand to hit me.

    "Hey!" Dad yelled, grabbing me out of Merle's reach. "What the hell man! What you gonna do? Hit her?! Don't threaten or raise your hand to her like that ever again. And Don't try and tell my daughter what and what not to do. That's my job." Daddy defended me. "She wasn't wrong anyway."

    "Funny. Cause last I thought I've been doing your job the past month. She looks alright to me man. And I wasn't gonna hit her, caught myself before I did. She shouldn't backtalk though Daryl, great parenting." Merle says to dad. Daddy clenched his jaw at that. "Anyway, what was that? You helping people out of the goodness of your heart? Even though you might die doing it? Is that something your Sheriff Rick taught you?"

    "There was a baby!" Daddy yelled at Merle.

    "Oh, otherwise you would have just left them to the biters, then?"

    "Man, I went back for you. You weren't there. I didn't cut off your hand, neither. You did that. Way before they locked you up on that roof. You asked for it."

    "You know-- you know what's funny to me? You and Sheriff Rick are like this now. Right?"

    I roll my eyes just about sick of all their nonstop arguing. Is this what me and Maddie are gonna be like?

    Something catches my eye.

    It's a bright blue butterfly. Landing on a tree just near us despite the bickering. I walk closer to it, being careful not to scare it off. I smile as I get close to it.

    I grin as I think of Taylor. A butterfly used to be her favorite animal. Having memories of Every time she saw one, she was happy for the rest of those days.

    I almost want to call her name so she could see the beautiful bright blue of this butterfly. Then, I get sad again as I remember she is really gone. Like I'm never gonna get to see her again. Or her smile when she saw one of these gentle flyers. The butterfly flies off and I'm likely never to see it again either.

    I wipe my face to see that tears had started silently making their way down my face.

    "Yeah, it didn't 'cause I wasn't there to help you." I listen to Merle as I slowly sit down on the ground facing away from them. Crying silently to myself.

    "What, like when we were kids, huh? Who left who then?" Daddy responded.

    "What? Huh? Is that why I lost my hand?" Merle shouted.

    "You lost your hand 'cause you're a simpleminded piece of shit." Daddy says then there's a scuffle and I hear ripping fabric. Then silence. I already know what Merle sees.

    "I-- I didn't know he was--" Merle stammered.

    "Yeah, he did. He did the same to you. That's why you left first."

    "I had to, man. I would have killed him otherwise." Merle says and then there was more silence.

    But, it was interrupted suddenly by the sound of me sniffling. Undoubtedly gaining their attention, and them realizing I was in tears to begin with. I hear the leaves crunch, and then a hand on my back.

    "You alright baby?" Daddy asks me. I roll my eyes and sniffle again. Not mad at him but just annoyed. I stand, hun standing with me. I wipe my face before turning to him.

    "I'll be fine. Just wish the arguing would stop." I say and I start walking, dad beside me.

    "Where you going?" Merle questions from behind us.

    "Back where we belong." Daddy answers.

    "I can't go with you. I tried to kill that black bitch. Damn near killed the Chinese kid." Merle shouts after us.

    "He's Korean." Daddy corrects.

    "And their names are Michonne and Glenn." I add.

    "Whatever. Doesn't matter, man. I just can't go with you." Merle states.

    "You know, I may be the one walking away... but you're the one that's leaving-- again." Daddy says to him, as we continue walking away. 

*later

    As we get to the prison, we see commotion. I spot Rick pinned against the outside of the fence by walkers.

    I tap dads arm, when he looks at me I point in the direction where Rick is.

    He takes out a bolt. And he shoots the walker right in front of Rick. Merle runs up and helps take out the other ones. I stand beside dad taking out any that get to close with his knife.

    I see Glenn and Michonne in the center of the fenced in field. They're helping Hershel get out. He's on crutches. He's lost his leg? Poor Hershel!

    The walkers are all dead. The ones around Rick, Dad, Merle, and I are at least. There's still some in the courtyard.

    Rick nods to dad. Who nods back. Then he looks into the yard, angry. When he looks at me I mouth 'Governor?' Pointing at the walkers and he nods.

    He's coming for us...

————————————————————
It's short but here is chapter 48 hope you like it. Please leave a comment and vote. Love y'all!❤️