Part 6: Leavin'

*Daryl's POV*
    It's still Maddie's birthday, and it's in the afternoon. I'm just sitting with my girls at our tent me,them, and Merle have set up away from the rest. cleaning my bolts. Listening to Hayley talking to me, Maddie too but her talking isn't as understandable as Hay's yet.

    "Do you think it'll ever go back to normal Daddy?" Hayley asks me.

    "I hope so darlin'." I answer unsure.

    "I don't know if I want it too." She says making me look at her. As I was looking at the bolt I was cleaning at the time.

     "Why not? You like it this way?"

    "I mean I miss home, and watching tv and my toys. And, also I don't like the geeks, and people dying, but I do like the people we met. Like Sophia and Carl. Them and their parents lived in another part of Georgia, I probably never would've met 'em if this didn't happen. Plus I know you'd always keep me safe, won't ya?" She explained geeks is what the group decided to call the dead ones.

    "I will do everything in my power to keep ya and yer sister alive." I say,"If things ever go back to normal, I'm sure we'd find ways for you to see Sophia and Carl. I don't think it will though. Everyone who's capable of bringin' that back are probably gone now."

"I don't think they'll want to be my friends. I mean maybe Carl but not Sophia."

"Why's that?"

"I didn't have friends that were girls, just boys. All the girls thought I was weird cause I wasn't as girlie as 'em."

"No ya weren't, and tha's okay. Thank god for it." I chuckle," I'm sure Sophia'd put up with ya."

After I said that she smiled and went back to drawing her picture. I smile.

I look over and see Shane walking over. When he gets to our tent Hayley looks up at him too.

"Hey Hayley." He greets,"Is it okay if I borrow your Daddy for a second? I need to talk to him." He asks Hayley. She looks like she's thinking about which makes me smirk.

"Yeah ya can. Just bring 'im back." She replies. Shane chuckles.

"I will. I promise." He said then turned to me. I got up and walked a few feet away from the girls still keepin' an eye on 'em.

*Hayley's POV*
It's still Maddie's birthday, and daddy's spent the whole day with me and Maddie.

Daddy's talking to Shane right now. And I'm drawing a picture of me, daddy, Maddie, and uncle Merle.

"What ya drawin' there darlin'?" I hear, and turn around to see uncle Merle.

"It's me, you, Daddy, and Maddie." I explained. He looks at the picture a little.

"Which ones me?" He asks. I point to the taller stick man on the left," Aye why's my head so big!" He says faking a hurt, shocked look and tone. Making me giggle.,"Plus I'm never gon' be that skinny again." He says with a chuckle making me laugh harder.

"It's just a drawing uncle Merle. It ain't real. Plus, I can't draw much better."

"Yeah, yeah I know I'm just pullin' yer leg."

"What? What does pullin' your leg mean?"

"It means I'm jokin' with ya munchkin." He says with a chuckle,"What's yer daddy doin'?"

"Talkin' to Shane. Why?" I ask curious.

"You just tell ya dad that the supply group is leavin' to go to Atlanta now. I'm goin' with 'em. I don't wanna go 'round officer dumbass more than I have ta."

"Yer leavin'?"

"Yeah, but I'll be back tomorrow."

"Why can't ya just let the other people go. I don't want cha to leave." I say getting upset.

"Now don't you start cryin'." He scolds," Remember our Dixon motto?"

"Dixon's don't cry." I say pouting.

"Damn right they don't. And, they don't pout neither. So stop that pouting, and give me a hug. I'll be back tomorrow so ya ain't got nothing to worry 'bout."

I stop pouting, and stand up to give uncle Merle a hug. He smells kinda bad. He smells like smoke, sweat, and the woods. But, I ain't gonna say anything cause I probably didn't smell much better before going in the quarry this morning.

"Sorry uncle Merle. Please come back safe." I ask him.

"You got it, darlin'." He says,"Don't forget to tell yer daddy, I'll be back." Then he walks away to the group going to Atlanta, and leaves.

I look over at Maddie, who is just sitting on the ground by me, playing with her hands. I make funny faces at her, trying to get her to laugh. Which doesn't take long cause she giggles. It's so easy to make her laugh.

Daddy walks back over to the tent and picks up his crossbow. He goes into the tent, and starts moving around like he was getting ready for something.

"What're ya doin' daddy?" I ask. He sighs and looks to me.

"Baby, the camp is running low on food, I gotta go on a hunt." He says.

"Okay." I say wondering why it was a big deal, "When are ya goin'?"

"In about an hour." He says.

"What! I thought you were gonna spend the whole day with me, and Maddie!" I say upset that he's leaving.

"I've spent the whole day with y'all so far. We got another hour. It's just what I gotta do."

"Can I come with ya?"

"No I want ya to stay with Lori for this one." He says picking up Maddie.

"But, why can't I come!" I whine, "You and uncle Merle are leaving."

"Cause I said so baby, where'd your uncle Merle go?"

"He went with the supply group to Atlanta. Said he'd be back tomorrow."

"Well I'll be back tomorrow too. You can survive that long can't ya. You have before. I'm sorry sweetie but I gotta go. Since no one else knows how to hunt anything, unless it's dead already, and in a can."

"Fine." I say knowing better than to argue.

Me and Maddie spend one more hour with daddy. Then, he drops us off by Lori's tent. He kisses mine and Maddie's head and then leaves just like uncle Merle did.

I can't wait until they both get back. It's not fair that they have to leave every day. Guess that's just part of being the hunters daughter and niece.

There is chapter six.
We're close to meeting Rick.😁
How do you think Hayley will react to her uncle Merle being left on the rooftop.🤷🏻‍♀️😬
How are you liking the story?
Pls, comment,vote, share,and follow me 💕💕thx loves❤️