Part 52: Protein Bar

When I wake up I see that Maddie was already gone from the bed. I get up and change, then I walk out of my cell and down the stairs.

I see Michonne, Rick, and Carl getting ready for their run. But I also see my dad packing a bag himself.

"Where are you going?" I ask him, after I walked over to him.

"I'm not going anywhere." He answers me. I look at him confused.

    "Then why are you packing a bag?"

    He closes the bag and hands it to me.

    "It's for you." He says. "You were right, I think you're ready too."

     "Really?" I smile up at him. He just nods and I hug him.

     "Hay!" I hear my baby sister yell at me.

     "What is it Maddie?" I ask. She holds up my bow.

    "Here you go." She said and it still blows my mind how well she talks now compared to the last time I seen her at the farm.

    "Thank you." I say taking my weapon from her.

    "And...I made you some more arrows while you were sleeping." Dad states, picking up my quiver. I thank him.

    "Alright we're ready to go, if you are." Rick says walking over to us. "You ready, Hayley?"

    "Yeah, I guess so." I say smiling at him.

    "You stay with Rick, and listen to him. You hear?" Daddy tells me.

    "Yes sir." I nod.

    "Don't worry Daryl, I won't let anything happen to her." Rick tells my father.

     "Well, I would take comfort in that, if we don't consider what happened last time you told me that." Dad jokes.

    Rick scoffs and shoves my dads shoulder. "You know that won't happen again, I'll make sure of it."

I hug Maddie and my father, before I run out to the car we were taking, Carl followed after me.

"You coming?" He asks me.

    "Yeah, my dad said I was ready." I nod.

    "Cool." He says getting in the car. I get in beside him. The two adults soon follow and we drive away from the prison.

    I look out the window, watching the scenery as it passes by, and I tap my heel to the floorboard making my leg bounce.

    "Are you nervous?" Carl whispers the question to me.

    "No. Just excited." I shake my head and smile.

    "Me too." Carl smiles back. "We're going to the tow I used to live in."

    "Cool." I say. Then I hear yelling from the side of the road. I look out my window to see a man with a big orange backpack yelling at us.-

    "Hey! Hey! Slow down! Slow down! Slow ... I'm begging you! No! Please!" He yells as we drive past.

    We drive further that man shouts were Long gone. We drive past cars and an RV that's blocking the road, only for the car to get stuck in some mud.

    Walkers push themselves against the car, trying to get us through our windows.

    "Cover your ears." Rick says looking back at me and Carl, we all listen and he rolls his window down a crack and points the hun out of it shooting the walkers. Even with my ears covered it was pretty loud.