Part 47: Gracias

⚠️warning: racial slur in this chapter (it's a direct quote from show) just leaving a disclaimer⚠️

*Hayley's POV*

"There ain't nothing out here but mosquitoes and ants." Daddy stated as we walked through the woods. Holding onto my hand, as Merle walked behind us.

"Patience, little brother. Sooner or later, a squirrel is bound to scurry across your path." Merle relies. My stomach growls and dad looks down at me.

"Even so, that ain't much food." Dad retorts.

"Better than nothing." Merle states.

"I'd have better luck going through one of them houses we passed back on the turnoff."

"Is that what your new friends taught you? Hmm? How to loot for booty?" Merle argues. Teasing. They've pretty much been doing that; teasing, and bickering at each other since we departed from the group. I've been silent though, being sad from leaving the others and Taylor.

"We've been at it for hours. Why don't we find a stream, try to look for some fish?" Daddy suggests.

"I think you're just trying to lead me back to the road, man. Get me over to that prison."

"They got shelter. Food. A pot to piss in. Might not be a bad idea."

"For you two, maybe. Ain't gonna be no damn party for me."

"Everyone will get used to each other."

"They're all dead, makes no difference." Merle states making me squeeze dads hand tighter at the thought.

"How could you be so sure?" Daddy glares at Merle. Squeezing my hand back.

"Right about now he's probably hosting a housewarming party where's he gonna bury what's left of your pals." Merle adds. I give him a worried look, but he doesn't pass me a glance he just keeps looking at daddy. So I turn my face to dad, and he reassuringly smiles at me mouthing 'don't listen too him.'

"Let's hook some fish. Come on." He says ignoring what Merle had said, and we started walking towards the nearest body of water.

*Rick's POV*

I'm in Daryl's cell, or his old one I guess I could say now, with Maddie. We had just gotten back.

She's playing with a toy bear.

"Hey, Maddie. What's your bears name?" I smiling at the almost three year old. I remember her telling just about everyone recently that her birthday was coming, she'd asked Daryl when it was, and when he said soon she got very excited. That was a good day, can't imagine how excited she'll be on her actual birthday.

"Mr. Bear." She answers smiling back at me. Then she looks behind me. "Where's daddy?" She asks and I sigh.

"Maddie, your daddy...he had to go on a trip. He's not back, but he'll be back when he's done with what he has to do." I explain. Dancing around the fact that he just left, for Merle. And because I have a feeling he'll be back, hopefully sooner rather than later.

Her face changes. From a smile to one of confusion and sadness.

"Whens he coming home?" She pouted.

"When he's ready. He'll be back. You're gonna be with us though. You can still play with Glenn, Carl, and baby Judith. Carol will still make you food, Maggie will help you get ready for the day and for bed, and Beth will still sing you too sleep. We're all here for you until your daddy makes it back." I try to make her feel better.