apologies

Hades

We explored the grounds, we went for a ride in the chariot, though she hated the drive yet loved the destinations.

She fell asleep in my bed too early for me to follow.

I went to the library, the place I knew Macaria to be.

She was sitting in a chair, reading a thick book.

"Hey," I said.

She put a bookmark between the pages. "I checked up on her," she said and caught my gaze. "She will survive."

"I know," I said. "Deep in here I know." I tapped my chest.

"Good," Macaria said.

I sat down opposite her in a plush armchair.

"She's pretty."

I smiled. "Yeah."

"Nothing like Persephone."

"No, she isn't." I agreed. Not in look or personality.

"I think she loves you," Macaria volunteered.

I sighed. "She wrote me a letter telling me she does. I warned her, saying she'll only see this as a dream if she even remembers."

"And she won't remember when she arrives here, dead." Macaria said.

"Nope." That was the tragedy of it all. "Maybe that she's been here, but that's about it."

Macaria placed the book on the bedside table. "I've considered visiting the Fates. There are a few people I'd like to help peacefully into this life."

I smiled. "Why has they captured your interest?"

She sighed. "I fell in love with one of them when he was younger. And while I do no longer harbor those feelings for him, I still wish him a pleasant afterlife."

I nodded, understanding her reasoning.

"Persephone didn't want me leaving Olympus. I just have nothing to do there."

I smiled. "I think I pissed her off when I sent her to Olympus for the remainder of the fall and winter."

"Yeah, that sounds like a reason for her to be pissed."

I looked at my jeans. "I'm sorry," I said and looked at her. "For never being there when you were little."

She smiled. "It's okay. It makes me appreciate the time with you more."

I gave her hand a squeeze.

"I'm glad I can come and go as I please. It makes this feel like home."

"This is your home," I said.

She nodded. "Zagreus has his own home."

"He likes to live more secluded than even I."

Macaria laughed. "That is true. I should probably go visit Melinoë."

"Good plan, just wait a bit, I just send a handful of troublemakers in her direction."

"Troublemakers?" Macaria asked, her voice skeptical.

"Well, rapists. Murders." I nodded. "That kind of troublemaker."

"Mhm." Macaria rose. "I will go to bed. Sleep sweet, Hades."

"You too." I said before she left.

I picked up the book she'd read.

It was one she'd written under a pseudonym once while being on earth. About how to die a peaceful death.

I put the book down and went back to my room.

Stella was still out cold. I changed into my pajamas and got underneath the covers. Her warm body was a welcome sight after the talk with Macaria.