intrusive

Stella

Three days. It took me three days before I was so well I could roam the castle again. Hades slept next to me every night, ensuring I was warm and feeling safe.

He had left for work when I woke, but I could make my way to the kitchen. I went exploring again. Lucinda was in the library reading in a book I wasn't allowed to read.

So I went to another attic.

This one felt like the first one I'd explored. The ladder was down. I ascended the ladder and was in a space which seemed huge. Bigger than what was possible.

The room was circular, and I'd ascended up into the middle of it. I shut the trapdoor and sat down on the floor. There was a writing station, it looked like it with paper and ink and a chair and a desk, beneath a window. Three pieces of furniture which consisted of nothing but drawers.

Curiosity got the best of me, and I opened the top drawer.

It contained envelopes. I opened the first one and pulled the letter out.

Hades, or should I say Father?

Mother has told us, Macaria and I, that you have reincarnated into the living world. Was it something we did? Or is it just another futile attempt at not losing a humanity that has never been yours?

I have recently been told, by Zeus, that I am the God of hunting and rebirth – so doesn't that give me the right to refuse your attempts a reincarnation? Or are you just above all?

I wish to go to the world and explore who I am, and how to be who I am meant to be. Mother refuses, says that I have to stay in the Underworld until you return.

But when will you? Two days ago you were just gone. I sent a letter to mother, who replied you'd probably reincarnated yourself into a human being. I will never understand your connection to the humans. They are so weak in their mortality. Why can't you see that?

I know you won't read this, because you've reincarnated and only the Fates know when you'll return to the Underworld.

Am I weak for missing you?

Zagreus

His son. This felt more intrusive than the ones from Persephone. I put down that letter and searched the pile until I came across one from Macaria.

I opened the envelope and skimmed the letter.

Hades,

Zagreus told me he'd written you a letter. I know it's futile, given you aren't here, but it somehow helps me cope with the fact that I don't know when I'll see you again.

Persephone doesn't understand. She never has. I feel this division within me, as if I'm more than just me. I do not understand it, and I'm not sure if it's me who is in the wrong. Maybe I am a Goddess, I just don't know what I'm a Goddess for.

Persephone is too busy to help me. I know it will be a long time until you're back in the Underworld, but I believe you're the only one who can help me.

Hades, I want to find out who I am. And I can't do that alone. Zagreus was told who he was, yet I have heard of no such thing. And I don't wish to discuss it with him. He is so full of himself and the responsibility he has received.

Also, he believes he is stronger than you. And I can't believe that to be true. While he is a God, given you and Persephone's positions, he is still to be considered a demi God, right? As am I.

I contemplated asking Zeus to help me, but he is even busier than you, and has too many prodigies to be able to help me.

Everybody hates you, Hades.

Macaria

Funny how closely their handwriting resembled each other. Maybe it was the same teacher who'd taught them to read?

I couldn't make myself read other letters from her.

The last one in the pile was from Persephone.

Hades,

I am writing you, given both Zagreus and Macaria has expressed the sense of loss they experience when you are not around. Please spend some time with them when you return from above. According to the Fates it won't be too long.

Yes, I asked them. I had to know. You can dislike me however much you want, yet I do care for our children.

Persephone

I wanted to know more about his relationship with Persephone, but the idea of asking was repulsive. Right now, what I cared about was that I'd gained his trust, and that I liked spending time with him. I could always press into the matter of his relationship with Persephone.

I put the letters back and pulled open several other drawers.

A sound had me stop dead in my tracks.

On tiptoes I made it back to the trapdoor and listened intently.

"Oh crap!" I heard Lucinda said. "Wrong fucking tower." She left again.

I was quiet for a long time before I shut the drawers and got back down. The other tower? Did she have secrets too?

Down here I didn't have anything hidden that no one was allowed to see. Due to my lack of personal items, and I didn't write letters, the chance of anyone finding anything about me was close to none.

I made it back to the kitchen when Hades entered.

He looked at me, just looked at me. "What have you been doing today?" he asked.

Lucinda came into the room and I smiled a sweet smile. "I've been feeling better." I volunteered.

He sighed.