warmth

Stella

I was freezing. I opened my eyes, pulled the comforter closer around me and tentatively reached out. Was it a dream or did I fall asleep next to Hades?

A warm arm. That's what my fingers found. And it was a guy's arm.

"Hades?" I whispered.

"Yeah?" He sighed, almost as if he were asleep.

"I'm cold." I whispered.

The lights turned on a bit, and Hades turned to look at me. His eyes dark and tired. "Cold?"

I nodded.

He leaned over and put his hand on my forehead. "I fear you might have a fever. What did you do while I wasn't here?" He pulled me into his side.

His warm body easing the tension in mine.

"Was angry."

"And what did you do while being angry?" he asked, the lights dimming down again.

"Might have been outside in the rain." I whispered.

"That was stupid." He declared. "You have to be healthy down here, Stella. For your own best."

"You just want to get rid of me?" I asked. The feeling was like a sharp knife to the chest.

"No," he said. "I wish you could stay, but I can't interfere with the order of your life. And you have to go back to Earth. I'll be here when you're old and ready to come down here."

"What if I die young?" I whispered.

"I haven't looked into it," he said. "And while you're here, I'm not going to."

I nodded. "You're so warm."

"Yeah, now, close your eyes and sleep."

I nodded again and let my eyelids flutter shut.

We moved, so we were spooning. Him behind me, his arms wrapped around me.