pleasant journey

Stella

I opened my eyes and sat up straight. It was twilight, the sky pink. I could feel steps, that was the only explanation as to how I was positioned. It was awkward and uncomfortable.

I was pretty sure I was standing by my car. Not near steps or near a giant castle from a fantasy movie.

I took a deep breath.

Think rational!

So, if I was being driven into, vaguely I remembered the screeching of tires, how did I end up here?

Was I dead?

Fuck.

No!

I couldn't be dead.

I slumped down on the steps, head between my knees and shut my eyes. It was a dream!

It fucking had to be!

My breathing evened, my beating heart didn't slow down. I was shaking. I wasn't sure how I couldn't.

What if I was truly dead?

What about my siblings?

About Lisa? My friends?

Someone approached. I couldn't stop shaking! I didn't want anyone to see me this way. I hid my hands, pressing them into my body, as if I was cold.

It was a he. It had to be. He was approaching me, he was tall, dark, with hair pulled back in a messy bun and with dark eyes. "Stella?"

I nodded, too scared to talk. Who the fuck was this?! I just wanted to go home. Not be with this oddly attractive guy who at the same time scared the shit out of me.

He smiled. "Hades, nice to meet you. Hope you had a pleasant journey?"

Despite his smile, I was horrified. My 'journey' had not been pleasant in the least. I didn't remember any of it, which was scarier than actually having remembered it.

"I'm so terribly sorry!" Hades said, eyes huge. "Occupational hazard, morbid jokes, sorry."

I swallowed. "I don't remember the journey." I whispered. My voice felt weak and like I was five years old.

"Oh," he said. "Charon told me about it. Didn't sound too nice. Anyhow, listen, I'm sorry about your unfortunate trip down here, and I will answer your questions, but I have work to do. Lucinda!" he yelled. "Lucinda will show you to your room, and I'll be back in time for dinner, and I'll answer your questions. Lucinda!" he roared again.

It felt as if his voice was ricocheting around me, and I closed my eyes.

"Sorry," he said. "Most of the occupants down here are rather old, another occupational hazard."

I swallowed and looked up at Hades.

His eyes were glued to my face, his face expressionless. "Lucinda is about your age, has been here since forever, and will look after you. You will get a room, with belongings you can pick out, we've got a town not far from here. And then we'll talk later, okay?"

I nodded, even though I felt unsure.

Hades nodded, moved to stand behind me and covered my ears with his hands before he roared for Lucinda again.

Vaguely I remembered when I'd watched Hercules on Disney. Hades was the God of the dead. Of course, this Hades didn't have blue hair or was blue, which helped. But was it true, though?

Lucinda came out from the door behind me and walked down. She looked to be my age, maybe a bit younger. Her skin was pale, her eyes gray and smiling, her hair blond and in a braid down her back.

"Right, Lucinda, Stella, Stella, Lucinda." Hades said, looking from one to the other. "I'll be back for dinner. You came faster than I thought."

Lucinda looked at me and smiled, Hades left without looking back.

"Am I dead?" I asked the girl.

She shook her head. "Nope, just in an in between state due to your physical body's condition on Earth."

I nodded.

"Right, let me show you to your room!"

I stood, my legs felt unstable beneath me. Slowly I followed the girl. She chattered on about the castle, and how often she cleaned and ironed, and how much she adored the room I was given.

Stairs and hallways and different doors.

The room was dark. She opened the curtains, and the pink evening sky was let into the room. There was a huge bed, king size, with deep purple sheets with gold and black patterns woven into the fabric.

A desk stood along one wall, a desk chair and a dresser. There was an empty bookshelf behind the door.

"So, tomorrow we'll go find you some clothes," Lucinda promised. "But first, dinner. What do you like?"

I looked at her, skeptical.

She smiled and revealed deep dimples, one on each cheek. "I cook for Hades. I love cooking, and he's ready to taste whatever, but since you're here, I think it should be up to you, what you'd like?"

The last thing I had? "Minestrone?" I asked.

"The soup?"

I nodded.

"Can I bake bread?"

"Sure," I said slowly.

Lucinda beamed at me and grabbed my hand as we left the room.

Maybe it was okay I wasn't alone? Right now my thoughts were too sinister.