trouble

Hades

Stella hadn't asked me to come by. I'd sent the last delegation of elderly people towards the town.

Charon walked into the room. He looked pissed

"What's happening?" I asked and stood.

He put down the oar and removed his hood. He was an elderly gentleman, always dressed in a suit under his cape. "Right, this little girl of yours. In your office? People were asking who she was, because you have a fucking balcony."

"Crap," I said. Shit, I figured she wouldn't use that.

"Exactly," Charon said. "So I'll suggest you keep all doors locked and don't bring her here."

I was already walking out the room.

"Also!" Charon yelled. "Get a grip!"

I spun around and faced him. "Excuse me?"

"Get a grip, Hades," he said. "The girl is bad news. Persephone hates her, despises her. And if she sees you're the least bit interested in letting her see an inkling of where you work, shit'll go down."

I nodded, my jaw tense. "I'm not interested in her, per se. I'm interested in her surviving that fucking coma. She's too young to die, and it was too severe for her not to be in a bad state. And Persephone is in Olympus by now."

"I know," Charon said, palms facing my way. "But Persephone is a jealous son of a bitch, or just a jealous bitch. So don't let her know. And she's got more eyes down here than you know. While most are respectful to you, they won't understand this either."

"I sent Persephone to Olympus. She can deal with her mother. After telling Stella, she would have to stay, now she ate down here. But I guess I'll have to make sure I'm the one people are loyal to, not her."

"She told that in the waiting room, too." Charon informed. "About the food."

"Fucking bitch!" I snapped. "I got to go." I stormed to the waiting room. Aethon was my horse of choice when I was riding alone.

The garden was deserted. I jumped off of Aethon and went inside. People were crying and shaking and shouting in desperation.

"Shut up!" I roared.

That made everyone shut up. A few still sniveled.

"Hello, I'm Hades, welcome to the Underworld. Persephone has been down here, telling you, you're doomed to stay since you've eaten?" I tried my fucking hardest to make my voice gentle and welcoming.

Some nodded tentatively. 

"Well, let me get this straight. You won't. In fact, you have to eat, or you'll die. What you're doing to your body while down here reflects what's happening to your real bodies. If you don't eat, you'll start to lose weight for no reason in you earthly bodies. Dinner will be served in half an hour, eat. It'll make you get well and out of here faster."

A kid pulled at my pants.

I glanced down.

It was a boy, huge dark eyes. He was having a heart surgery.

"Me too?"

"Yes, you too," I said. "It's very important you eat. And Harry is about to give you all your favorite foods."

Harry picked the boy up.

"Now, be a good boy and eat."

The kid nodded and struggled to get down. He was old enough to walk.

I spun on my heel and left the room. My anger was building. After all the shit with Persephone, the stare down with Stella in the kitchen, and now I had to deal with people having seen her. After finding out Persephone was about to complicate everything I bucking do down here.

Aethon took me back to the office. And while he was fast, it seemed to take forever. A headache was building after having to clean up Persephone's mess. All to spite me for sending her upstairs.

I opened the door to the office.

Stella was sitting behind the desk. She seemed bored, her nails were clicking on the table, and she glared at me, when I entered. Underneath her leather jacket she wore a deep red shirt. It was unbuttoned to reveal enough skin to tease my imagination. I didn't like her!

"Hello," I said. "You went to the balcony."

"I opened the door," she said. "You didn't say I couldn't."

I massaged my temples. Now was not the time to yell at anyone. Had it been any other day I would've explained it. "Right, let's get back."

She stood and gestured to the work she'd done. "Now, that didn't take long. And none of it was interested reading either."

I couldn't help my smirk.

"Fuck you, Hades," she said and stalked past me.

I grabbed her arm. "Don't leave without me." I said, my voice didn't invite to any discussion. "Troubles can await."

She shook her arm out of my grip and crossed her arms. "Right, then let's leave! And try not to sound as if I'm a fucking damsel in distress."

"Fine!" I said. "Have the chariot waiting!" I called. "And down here, in the state you're in? You are a damsel in distress."

Stella stalked off beside me, arms crossed.

"Why are you so fucking pissed?" I asked. She didn't have anything to be pissed at.

"Oh, you left me waiting for a day. You could've told me I wouldn't be able to do shit here. Before we went her." She added.

"Now you know," I said. I liked having her around, truth be told. That thought was one I shot down quickly.

"I have Lucinda's food for Charon." She said.

I grabbed the bag, grabbed her arm and pulled her into an empty room.

Charon walked passed. "He's not too fond of you right now." I said and went to him and gave him the food.

"Thanks!" he said and peeked into the bag. "Tell Lucinda thank you."

"Will do," I promised and went back to the room.

The lights were switched on, yet Stella was nowhere to be seen.

"Stella!" I yelled. "I know you're here." I could sense her. Smell her perfume.

I locked the door and stalked around the room.

She'd gone to the adjacent room, lying on the couch, ankles crossed.

"Right, let's go." I said.

Stella looked up at me. "Why?" she asked.

I didn't even bother asking her. I picked her up, throwing her across my shoulder as gently as I could, and left the room.

She struggled, fought me, beat on my lower back with her fists.

When we reached the stables, she stopped. I could feel her arms were crossed against my back.

Not taking any chances, I placed her in the chariot like the errand child she acted like.

The horses were harnessed, and I stepped in behind her, pressing myself against her back.

Her hair was teasing my nose. She smelled too good for her own good.

The ride was swift. I helped her down from the chariot, letting her stand. She seemed unstable on her legs, and for once I didn't care.

The second she was able to, she stormed off.