Harry bits part of his tongue off

Start from the beginning

He hears Mitch gasp distantly, and he's aware that the guitar stops, but the sound carries on in Harry's mind. Mitch isn't laughing anymore, but Harry doesn't care; he's still singing, warmth still dripping from his lips, until someone grabs him by the shoulders and he snaps his eyes open once more.

Mitch is right there, still smiling but also worried, eyes glued to Harry's mouth. For a second, Harry thinks Mitch is going to kiss him, and he pulls away an inch, sputtering another laugh. Something flecks over Mitch's face, and Harry almost expects it to be the light he can still feel pouring out of his mouth, but it's not. It's dark, and when Mitch flinches and wipes at his cheek, it smears against his skin.

"You're bleeding," Mitch says, swiping his already dirtied fingers under Harry's bottom lip. He comes away with more of that dark liquid on his fingertips, and Harry's absolutely gutted to find that it isn't liquid luminescence.

Harry tries to speak, but he just gurgles a little, a little more blood dripping from his mouth. He frowns, sticking his finger between his lips to try and find the source, but it turns out that everything inside of his mouth is wet and warm and throbbing, suddenly, and he winces as he pulls his finger out.

Mitch is gone, and Harry's alone in the living room, blood all down the front of his Rolling Stones t-shirt and coating his left index finger. He doesn't really know what to do, so he just keeps standing there, watching the wallpaper, which is moving a little more frantically now.

All of a sudden, Louis swims into his field of vision, and Harry grins. He'd forgotten that Louis was even home, but now that he's here, all Harry can think to do is reach out and hug him. Louis backs away, putting a hand out to hold him back, and Harry pouts.

"Jesus Christ," Louis mutters, grabbing Harry's arm and tugging him out of the living room.

"Where are we going?" Harry asks, but a little more blood gets in the way and trickles down his chin and then down his neck. He giggles at the feeling, wiping at it with the back of his hand and then wiping his hand on his shirt.

"You bit your fucking tongue off, dumbass," Louis says, pulling him into the downstairs toilet and making him sit down on the closed lid of the toilet seat.

"I what?" Harry asks, reaching into his mouth again to touch his tongue. Yeah, he supposes his tongue does hurt quite a bit, but he's almost positive that it's still there.

"For fuck's sake," Louis hisses, snatching the hand towel out of the ring on the wall and pulling Harry's hand out of his mouth. "Open," he says firmly, so Harry does, and then Louis jams the towel right into his mouth.

Harry gags a little at the feeling of cotton filling his mouth, tears tickling at his eyes. Once he recovers, though, he just starts laughing again, pressing his tongue against the towel and gagging again, repeating the process. Louis looks like he wants to murder him, which is only making the situation even funnier in Harry's brain.

"Idiot," Louis mutters, but then Harry lets out another muffled laugh through the towel, and Louis's lips quirk up. "God, you're so stupid."

Harry laughs a little harder, biting down on the towel and squeezing his eyes shut while he cackles. Louis starts laughing too, finally, getting a new towel and wetting it with warm water in the sink. He cleans Harry's face and neck as best he can, and Harry laughs all the while, Louis's face glimmering in and out of his vision.

He leans forward when Louis comes close enough to kiss, but the towel is in the way, so Harry ends up just sort of smashing his nose against Louis's. Louis groans and straightens up, checking his nose in the mirror for blood, and then glaring at Harry again. "If I don't fucking knock you out right now," Louis says, but he's still smiling, and Harry can't stop fucking laughing.

"'Oo-ee," Harry says, like he doesn't have a towel stuffed between his jaw. "I 'ow oo."

Louis frowns, pulling the towel out of Harry's mouth. "What?"

"I love you," Harry says, grinning at him like he doesn't have blood between every single one of his teeth and a fresh trickle threatening to drip out of the corner of his mouth.

"This is a nightmare," Louis says, pushing a clean corner of the towel into Harry's mouth. "I'm literally going to have nightmares about you smiling with a mouthful of blood and saying you love me."

Harry howls, doubling over on the toilet and laughing into his knees. Louis can't help but laugh, too, sitting down on the floor beside the toilet and waiting for Harry to calm himself down.

"I don't even know what to do for you," Louis admits, still giggling softly, like Harry's laugh is infectious to him, as much as it is to Harry himself. "Should I call an ambulance? Should I drive you to A&E?"

"'Uh 'e," Harry says, reaching down for him.

"What?" Louis asks.

Harry grunts in frustration, clambering down off the toilet and right into Louis's lap. He doesn't really fit, but Louis only complains a little, letting Harry wrap himself around him. "'Uh 'e," he demands again.

"Hug you," Louis repeats, holding Harry close. "Got it."

They sit there for a while, waiting for something to happen. Louis pulls the towel out of Harry's mouth every now and again to check the bleeding, cleaning up what he can and replacing the towel before the blood can start dripping again. That's a lot of blood for one tongue, Harry thinks, and spends approximately fifteen minutes giggling into Louis's neck about it.

When the bleeding finally, finally stops, Louis drags Harry up off of the floor and manhandles him out of his ruined t-shirt, leaving it in a ball in the sink and then leading Harry out of the bathroom. He brings him all the way upstairs, through their bedroom and into the ensuite, deposits him in the shower and turns the water on to rinse off the rest of the blood. As soon as Harry's clean, Louis pulls him out and towels him off, and then tucks him into bed with a face cloth in case his mouth starts bleeding again. Harry just giggles passively through the whole ordeal, but the effect of the shrooms is finally starting to wear off a little, and he's quite tired.

Louis disappears for a few minutes and then comes back with a bag of ice, making Harry sit up and stick his tongue out so that Louis can hold the ice against it. Louis is annoyed, Harry knows, but Harry's still tripping just enough that he isn't worried about it quite yet. Louis holds him, regardless, lets him cuddle close and keeps icing his injured tongue until Harry falls asleep on his shoulder, snoozing soundly while the drugs work their way out of his system.

-

Harry wakes up in almost the same position, but they're lying down now, and he's resting on Louis's chest, the bag of room temperature water still in Louis's limp hand. Harry sits up and yawns, but the immediate throbbing pain in his mouth has him rocketing out of bed and into the ensuite to check his tongue in the mirror.

Sure enough, the tip of his tongue is wounded and swollen, still raw and throbbing a bit. He whimpers quietly, running some cold water from the tap to fill his mouth and wash out the taste of blood and cotton.

Louis finds him a minute or so later, leaning in the doorway to the ensuite, looking sleepy and judgmental. Harry pouts at him, and Louis just smiles, reaching for his hand and leading him downstairs.

Mitch is nowhere to be found, and Harry has no idea when he left or where he went, but he just hopes he ended up getting home alright. Louis makes him a smoothie for breakfast with a metal straw that feels quite nice when Harry rests his tongue against it, and they spend the rest of the morning cuddling quietly on the sofa, watching whatever happens to be on TV.

Harry probably won't be able to talk properly for a week; he thinks Louis might be quite okay with that, though, considering the way he keeps rolling his eyes every time Harry tries to slur out his appreciation for his help with the whole thing. He's pretty lucky, he thinks, to have a partner that will help him clean up his bitten-off tongue and still cuddle him the next day, but maybe he should stay away from shrooms for a while.

silly harry