Chapter twenty

Mary poppins closes her eyes as the sound of crying filled the air.
"It's a girl Mary." Bert said and brushed her hair out of her face.
Mary Poppins opened her eyes and took a breath. "Give me a moment." She said and allowed the magic to flow through her body and heal her. The colour returned to her face. Mary Poppins sat up and leaned forward on her elbows. "Is she healthy?"
A nurse was looking over her.
Bert nodded. "She's tiny but 'ealthy. She's strong like her mother."
Mary Poppins moves herself to her feet. "Do you have an names?"
He looked at the baby. "I'm not sure. Not yet. We don't know 'er all that well yet."
Mary Poppins nodded. "I suppose we will have to get to know her then."

Mary Poppins held the baby and looked at Jane and Michael. "Its absolutely filthy in here. Did you two run through a barn before you arrived home?" She asked them.
Jane blushed. "We ran through then grass as a shortcut but it started raining and getting muddy."
Mary Poppins nodded. "Very well. Michael go get yourself washed. Jane help me clean up. Take off your shoes. Spit spot.
         Mary Poppins pulled out a wrap to hold her daughter in place against her chest as she moved around to clean. The movement put the baby to sleep. Mary Poppins wasn't used to bringing her children to work. John was never dependent on her. He would take a bottle. This one refuses and she was extremely clingy.
           Michael emerged from the bathroom and Jane swapped places with him. Finally the room was clean and the children were too.
       Jane sat cross legged on her bed. "Mary Poppins why is she blonde?"
        Mary Poppins looked at her daughter. She had bright blonde curly hair. Unlike any of the others in her family. "An interesting question. I'm sure if I had an answer it would be interesting as well."
         Jane leaned forward and rested her head on her hands. "Do you have a name for her?"
        Mary Poppins shook her head. "Not at the moment. I'm sure we will find one in time." She said. She saw the children were growing bored. She smiled slightly. "How about a trip to the park?"
       Michael smiled. "That would be lovely."
       Mary Poppins glanced out the window. "The rain has let up. Gather your coats." She said and walked to the coat closet. She put hers on and unwrapped her daughter and put a coat on her as well as wrapping her with her baby blanket. The children did the same.
       Mary Poppins put a bonnet on her daughters head and walked the children downstairs and outside. They walked to the park and Jane spotted Bert. He was painting portraits. "Oh Mary Poppins can he paint us?"
       "Do you have money?" Mary Poppins asked and they walked over.
        Jane nodded. "Hello Bert. Can you paint Michael and I?"
          Bert smiled. "Sit right on down 'ere. I'll get ya two painted so nicely you'll believe it to be a mirror." He said and began his work.
       Mary Poppins gently rocked her daughter who began to cry. She placed her daughter against her shoulder and rubbed her back soothingly. "Your mothers here." She said softly. "Hush now. It's alright." The baby calmed down and returned to sleep.
        Bert stared at her. Mary Poppins raised her eyebrow. "What are you staring at?" She asked. "Get back to work for there paying customers."
         He cleared his throat. "I've never seen ya calm one of the children down like that." He said and returned to painting.
        Mary Poppins blushed. "Nonsense. I was only getting her to sleep." She said.
       Bert stayed true to his word and handed Jane the finished painting. "What did I say? A mirror." Bert said.
        Jane smiled. "Mother will love it! Thank you Bert!" She looked at Mary Poppins. "Mary Poppins he should paint you!"
         Mary Poppins shook her head. "Don't speak such nonsense. He doesn't want to paint me." She said.
        Bert smiled and leaned on his knee. "Of course I would. Sit in down Mary. Let me paint ya."
        Mary Poppins tried to hide her smile. "Of all the silly nonsense." She said softly and sat down. "Do make it quick."
        Bert raised his eyebrow and smiled. He began his work.
        It took his longer to paint her then it did Jane and Michael. He finished and turned it around. "What do ya think Mary!" He asked.
        Mary Poppins smiled. "Practically perfect." She said softly. "Thank you Bert." She said and stood up. "You really do have a gift."