Chapter twelve

Mary Poppins woke in the hospital once again. She looked around. Ellen was sitting by the bed. "You're awake. How do you feel?"
     "The baby?" She asked softly.
      Ellen nodded. "They saved it. You have to take it easy Mary. Bed rest is what they recommend." She said softly.
      Mary Poppins looked down. "I can't do that. You know I can't."
      Ellen laid her hand on Mary Poppins. "Don't worry about money right now. Alright? The family can help you out. But you need to focus on yourself and the baby." Ellen said.
     Mary Poppins looked at Ellen. "I can't except your money."
       Ellen shook her head. "I mean it. Don't worry. We will help." She said. "Mary I really think you should call your husband."
      Mary Poppins shook her head. "He needs to be with Elizabeth and John. I'll be fine." Mary Poppins said.
      Ellen sighed. "Alright Mary." She said. "I have to return home now. Will you be alright?"
     Mary Poppins nodded. "I'll be fine. Thank you Ellen."
     Ellen nodded and walked to the door. "Please take the doctors advice Mary."
     Mary Poppins looked at the bed. "I'll try." She said softly.
      Mary Poppins stayed in the hospital for two weeks before the doctor discharged her. She hadn't heard from Bert in the entirety of the two week. The baby was growing well and despite what happened it was healthy.
      Mary Poppins looked at the apartment. Bert hadn't been home since the accident.
     Dirt caked the apartment in every corner.
     Mary Poppins got to work instantly. She cleaned the apartment until it shined.
     She fell back on the couch and closed her eyes. She was tired but it felt good to finally do something.
     Mary Poppins rested it hand on her stomach. She had a tiny bump. Though she's been pregnant before, she still was in awe that she could carry a child.
      The phone started to ring. Mary Poppins looked at the phone and stood up. She walked over swiftly and answered. "Alfred residence." She said.
      "I know. I live there." Bert said on the other line. "Where 'ave ya been Mary?" He asked.
      Mary Poppins looked down. "Here and there."
      "Where Mary? I 'aven't 'eard from ya in two weeks." Bert said.
     Mary Poppins sighed. "After I left I got caught in the snow and was returned by the help of Ellen immediately. I nearly miscarried and I was only now discharged." Mary Poppins said.
      Bert caught his breath. "Ya didn't tell me. Ya didn't even call."
     Mary Poppins clenched her fists. "How could I? After we left? I couldn't- I overreacted and I didn't know how to look at you again." Mary Poppins said.
      She heard Bert hang up and Mary Poppins set the phone back. She leaned on the wall and sighed. "I'm so sorry Bert." She whispered.

      Mary Poppins walked into Elizabeth's room. Nearly three weeks had passed since the phone call with Bert.
     She took a breath and made herself visible.
     Bert looked up but said nothing.
     John looked up. "Mother!" He cried and ran and slammed into her.
     Mary Poppins didn't realize how strong he was and she fell backward. John landed on top of her. He hugged her. "I missed you."
     Mary Poppins pushed herself up and picked up John. Her back hurt but she said nothing. "I missed you too John." Mary Poppins said. She rubbed his back and looked at Elizabeth. "How's your sister?"
      "Daddy said she's strong." John said.
     Mary Poppins purses her lips. "Bert?"
     Bert didn't even acknowledge her.
      Mary Poppins looked at her husband. "Bert!"
      John looked at his mother. "You're shaky."
      Mary Poppins looked at her son. "I'm practically perfect." She said.
      He shook his head. "You feel like fire."
     Mary Poppins raised her eyebrow. "You know what fire feels like?"
     He shrugged. "Daddy says it."
     Mary Poppins nodded. "Well
I'm fine." She said. She looked at Bert. "Bert look at me."
      Bert looked down.
      Mary Poppins sighed and set John down. "Bert grow up!"
      He looked at her. "Don't ya dare speak to me! Ya didn't even visit in nearly eight weeks!" He snapped and stood up. "You're not perfect Mary. Quit actin' like it!"
      Mary Poppins clenched her fists. "I know!" She snapped. "I know I'm not perfect! But I'm expected to be!"