Chapter four

Mary Poppins looked at the children and their mother. They sat on the couch looking through a photo album.
The door opened and Bert carried his load in. "Is tonight alright to clean your chimney?"
Winifred nodded. "Thank you Bert."
Mary Poppins stood up. "Where is Elizabeth?"
"Right behind me." Bert said and Elizabeth's entered. "Mother! I saw the most lovely flower on the way here."
The child had only now begun calling Mary Poppins mother. It wasn't something Mary Poppins was used to. "Really? You must tell me about it at another time."
"Papa said it was a Rosa 'Julie Andrews.' And-"
"You must learn to listen when spoken to." Mary Poppins said.
Winifred looked up. "She's only a child."
"Never to early to learn manners." Mary Poppins said. She turned to Bert. "You didn't leave her with your dear neighbor?"
"Wasn' a need. You look like your 'bout to burst Mary."
"Thank you for that." Mary Poppins said sharply. "It is your night to be with her. She will watch you clean then." She said.
"Oh the children can join! I just be in my way. The rally will start soon." Winifred said and jumped up.
Mary Poppins nodded. "Very well. Come children." She said and led them to the chimney. "I'll return in a minute. Bert keep an eye on them." Mary Poppins said and walked upstairs.
She walked to her room in the nursery and leaned on the wall. A sharp kick made her wince. "Please be nice to your mother." Mary Poppins said to the unborn child. Her hand resting on her bump.
She straightened up when she heard Jane shriek. She grabbed the children's coats and walked downstairs. She looked at Bert. "We have to go after them I suppose." She said and handed him Michaels coats. They both went up the chimney after the children.
Mary Poppins landed on her feet sturdily and handed Jane her coat. "It's pouring and you decided to take a ride up the chimney did you?"
"We didn't mean to." Jane said.
Mary rested her hand on her bump and looked at the children.
Elizabeth let out a sneeze. "Bless you." Mary Poppins said. "We must get inside. You three will catch your death-" she was cut off by a sharp pain through her body.
"Mary?" Bert asked and straightened up.
Mary waited for the pain to subside. She straightened. "I'm fine. Come children." She said and led them down a staircase of smoke. They followed her. She led them inside and crossed her arms. "Now you've done it. You all are filthy." She said. "Up stairs to-" she stopped and looked down. A pool of wetness was at her feet. She sighed and stepped over the liquid. "Just like your father. Always at the wrong time." She said.
Bert looked at her. "You need to go to 'ospital." He said.
"Nonsense. Its only just begun. Finish your job." Mary Poppins said and walked upstairs. The children were already drawing their bath. Mary Poppins set a pile of clothes for ten to change into on the counter. "Here you go." She said. "Come into the nursery when you are finished."
She said.
She sat on the rocking chair and by the time they all had finished she was finishing up a contraction. She looked up and let out a breath. Bert walked into the room. " 'ow far apart?" He asked.
Mary Poppins held up a finger and let the pain pass. "Fifteen minutes." She said finally and stood up. "It's time for you all to retire to bed." She said.
Jane and Michael got into their beds.
Jane looked at the door. "Oh mother! Can Elizabeth stay the night? It's pouring."
Winifred entered the room. "I suppose that would be okay." She looked at Mary Poppins. "Are you alright?"
Mary Poppins nodded. "Practically perfect." She said.
"Is that so? And being in labor is practically perfect Mary?" Bert asked.
Mary Poppins said nothing. "I suppose I've been better." She said. "It's nothing I cannot manage." She said. She winced and clenched her fist as another contraction passed. "Quicker than the last." She said and looked at Bert. "I suppose we should go."
Bert took Mary Poppins hand. "Thank you Mrs. Banks. I will return after I take this stubborn women off to 'ospital." He said.