Chapter fifteen

Mary Poppins walked into the nursery. The door was locked but Mary Poppins had no problem getting in.
     Jane sighed and crossed her arms. "They just have to send the nanny in."
      Mary Poppins sat in the rocking chair. "The nanny? I have a name and I'd like you to use it Jane." She said.
      Jane looked down. "I don't want to talk to Anyone."
     Mary Poppins rocked back and forth. "Don't speak then. I'll sit here and you'll sit there."
Jane said nothing.
Mary Poppins crossed her arms and rocked in the chair. She said nothing, just as she promised.
Jane sighed finally. "James, the boy I met at school, destroyed my locker and said I kissed him." She said finally.
"Did you?" Mary Poppins asked and straightened her posture.
Jane shook her head. "No! But now the entire school thinks I did. I can't show my face there any longer."
Mary Poppins waved her hand in dismay. "Children are children. They say hurtful things but one day not even they will remember what they said or did. They shouldn't have done what they did but it's done now and it can't be changed. You might as well go to school with your head held high. You did nothing wrong so why should you worry about what people think?"
"How do you do it? People around town talk bad about you and Bert everyday."
Mary Poppins dropped her hand. "O Wasn't aware that they spoke about us but I do know that if I knew I wouldn't stop doing what I'm doing. I assume you mean they're speaking about my relationship with Bert yes?"
Jane nodded. "They speak
About how a proper woman like you shouldn't be with a person like Bert."
Mary Poppins nodded. "I see. Bert and I are no one else's concern. We didn't marry to please others. We married to please ourselves and each other. What we do for a living or what we were born into doesn't determine how good of a person we are. That is all determined by ourselves and our actions." Mary Poppins said.
Jane set her hands in her lap. "Thats a good mentality to have."
"It took years to think like that. I'm
Not perfect Jane. No one is."
Jane stood up and hugged Mary Poppins. "You're practically perfect to me Mary Poppins. Thank you." She said.
Mary Poppins hugged the girl close and smiled. "You're welcome dear."
     Jane let go of her nanny. "Please don't leave again Mary Poppins."
     Mary Poppins stood up. "When the winds change Jane I must leave. You know this."
     Jane shook her head. "You don't have to. Please don't go anymore."
     Mary Poppins sighed and looked at the girl. "Jane please. You know that when I must leave then I cannot change what must be done."
       "Y-you promised that you'd only leave when your children are finished with school." Micheal said in the doorway.
     Mary Poppins looked at the boy. "Micheal I-"
    Micheal ran into the hall. "Micheal!" She called and walked out of the door.
     She heard the door slam. "Jane get your coat." She said.
     Jane did as she was told and followed Mary Poppins who was already out the door. "You didn't grab your coat."
     "Don't worry about me." Mary Poppins said. She admitted she should have grabbed her coat. It was freezing outside.
      They walked around the town calling for Micheal for what seemed to be hours. By the time the sun set Mary Poppins was shaking and her skin was icy to the touch. She had sent Jane back home but she kept her search.
     Winfred had called the police but they told her they would start searching tomorrow.
      Mary Poppins walked around the entire town again. She felt herself growing weak but she refused to return to the Banks house until Micheal was found. After all it was her fault he disappeared.
     "Mary?"
     Mary Poppins stopped when she heard a familiar voice. "Bert?"
     Bert walked over to her. "Where is ya coat Mary? It's freezin' out 'ere." He said and wrapped his arms around her.
     "I didn't think to grab it when Micheal ran. I need to find him."
     Bert walked Mary Poppins forward. "Let's go see if 'e's returned 'ome first." He said and they walked to the Banks house.
      Mary Poppins walked with her head on her husbands shoulder. "It's my fault." She said softly.