Chapter nine

Winifred slipped upstairs to talk to her daughter.
Mary Poppins peered into the kitchen and saw Micheal doing dishes and Ellen supervising. The phone rang.
Ellen walked out of the kitchen. "Hello Mary Poppins." She said.
"You can call me Mary. I'll accept that to." Mary Poppins said.
"Can I call you Mary?" Micheal asked.
Mary Poppins raised her eyebrow. "Don't push your luck too far."
Micheal gave her a chuckle. Ellen answered the phone. She covered her mouth and looked at Mary Poppins.
Mary Poppins got an awful feeling in her stomach.
Ellen put the phone up. "There was an accident."
"What sort of accident?" Mary Poppins asked.
Ellen hesitated and twisted her apron. "With Elizabeth."
Mary Poppins felt her heart stop. "What sort of accident Ellen? Answer me!"
Ellen looked at the floor. "She's in hospital. She was walking home and was struck by a carriage. She's not looking well Mary."
Mary Poppins nearly fell to the floor. She caught herself and held a hand on the wall to steady herself.
"Go to hospital Mary. I'll tell the missus where you are. She'll understand." Ellen said.
Mary Poppins looked at the door. "It's not yet my day off. I-"
"Go! It'll be alright Mary. You don't have to work every single day. Go see your girl." Ellen said.
Mary Poppins nodded. "Thank you." She said and ran to the door. She didn't even bother with her winter coat or her hat. She ran down the street to the hospital and ran to the desk. "Elizabeth Alfred?"
"Down the hall to the left." The nurse said.
Mary Poppins nodded and practically ran to the room.
She entered and saw Bert sitting with John on his lap. He looked up. "Ya came!"
Mary Poppins sat next to him. "Is she going to be alright?"
Bert sighed. "I don't know." He said.
     Mary Poppins sighed and laid her head on Bert's shoulder. She took his hand and watched the machines move and beep. "I don't know what I'll do if something happens Bert."
      Bert looked at his wife. "What do ya mean?" He asked.
      Mary Poppins sat up. "If she passes. I don't know what I'll do. I haven't been good at this mother thing but I do love her."
      Bert squeezed Mary Poppins hand. "She'll be okay. She's your dau'er."
       Mary Poppins nodded and leaned forward to rest her arms on her knees. "I know how strong she is. I just wish-" she sighed and looked down. "I worry." She said softly.
      "I know ya worry." Bert said. "That's okay. Mary she's strong. She'll make it." Bert said.
      Mary Poppins said nothing and kept her gaze on Elizabeth.

      Three weeks had passed and Elizabeth had shown little to no improvement. Mary Poppins returned to work with the Banks as Bert was at the hospital. While Bert was off of work there wasn't any money coming in so Mary Poppins had to work.
      Mary Poppins kept her focus on making Jane's new dress for her school dance. "Who is coming with you?" Mary Poppins asked.
       Jane watched Mary Poppins dainty stitching. "A boy from my class. Christopher. He's handsome."
     Mary Poppins raised her eyebrow. "Oh really? How handsome?"
      "His eyes are a pretty shade of blue. That's what I have noticed most." Jane said. She watched Mary Poppins continue to sew. "Are you alright? Is Elizabeth getting better?"
      Mary Poppins sucked in a sharp breath. "Not yet." She said softly.
      "I'm sorry." Jane said.
      Mary Poppins nodded and finished the last stitch. "And we are finished." She said and stood up. She instantly felt dizzy and stumbled. "How odd." She murmured and set the dress down.
      "What's wrong?" Jane asked and led out her hand.
      Mary Poppins shook her hand away. "I'm alright." She said. "Practically-"
      "Perfect I know." Jane said. "Shall I try on the dress?"
     Mary Poppins nodded. "I suppose. That way we can see what needs fixed." Mary Poppins said.
     Jane nodded and went to change in the washroom.
     Mary Poppins looked at her hands that were shaking. Her hands never shook.
      "Mary Poppins? I need help buttoning the dress." Jane called.
     Mary Poppins took a step forward but blackness overtook her vision.