Chapter fourteen

Mary Poppins looked at the bills. "Bert we can't afford to pay these bills. I have to work."
Bert looked at Mary Poppins. "You're ex'austed Mary. Ya can't work like that." He said and rested his hand on hers. "I've taken new jobs on. Elizabeth is going to 'ave ya mother if one of us are not there."
Mary Poppins rested her head on her hands and sighed. "Bert even you're jobs will not be enough. I have to work. I'm pregnant. Not Broken."
"The doctor said ya need to be on bed rest Mary. we can't risk it." Bert said.
"And what happens when I stop working? I lose the money I earn for our income and then we cannot afford anything. Let alone another child to feed." Mark Poppins said.
Bert sighed. "I don't want it to work out this way. I want your best interest at 'eart Mary." He said. "But I also don't want ya 'urt." He said. "I can't lose ya Mary."
Mary Poppins held her husbands hand. "I'll be right here. Always." She said. "Can we compromise? I'll work until I am seven months or I simply become too exhausted. That way we still have money for a little while."
Bert sighed. "Alright. I don't like it but it is our best option." He said.
Mary Poppins heard a soft yawn. She turned and smiled. "John what are you doing up?"
Her son walked over and rubbed his sleepy eyes. Mary Poppins pulled him into her lap. "You should be sleeping."
John rested his head on her shoulder. He yawned again and closed his eyes.
Bert smiled. " 'e just wanted 'is mother." He said. "Look, 'e's already asleep again."
Mary Poppins ran her fingers through her sons hair. "I'll put him back to bed in a little while." She said.
     Bert walked over and kissed Mary Poppins head. "I 'ave to get to 'ospital." He said. "I'll see ya after you finish work tomorrow." He said.
     "I love you." Mary Poppins said. "Tell Elizabeth I love her too. I'll drop John with you tomorrow morning when I walk to the Banks house." She said.
     Bert smiled and ruffled his sons hair. "I love ya too." He said and walked to the door. He walked out of the apartment leaving Mary Poppins alone with their son.
     She pressed her lips to her sons head and stood up. She walked him to his room and set him on his bed. She pulled his covers over his body and kissed his forehead again. "Sleep well John." She said and sat down in the rocking chair beside his bed. Suddenly she was wide awake. She pulled her knitting from the bedside table desk out and began to finish the scarf she had promised Elizabeth.
      Before she knew it the sun was rising and it was time for her to get ready for work. She set the newly finished scarf aside and woke John gently. "Come dear. We have to go to hospital to see your sister." She said.
     John rubbed his sleepy eyes. "Are oh staying with us?"
     Mary Poppins shook her head. "Not today." She said and pulled out a fresh outfit for him.
     He sighed. "You never stay."
     Mary Poppins helped him change. "I have work. And soon enough I'll be over to visit." She said.
      John ran to his shoes and pulled them on. Mary Poppins tied them and sat him on the couch. "I'll go change and then we will be on our way." She said and walked to her bedroom. She changed into a new outfit and pulled her hair into a neat bun. She added her usual amount of blush and grabbed her bag. She walked into the living room. "Shall we go?" She asked and held out her hand.
     John grabbed her hand and they walked outside.
     Mary Poppins noticed the snow was piling high and the roads were slick with ice. "What do you say we go to the Banks and see if they would like to play in the snow?"
      John looked at his Mother. "Really?"
     Mary Poppins nodded and the two walked to the Banks house. She pulled the door open and nearly ran into Winifred. She looked at John. "Hello dear."
      John beamed. "Hello Mrs. Banks!"
      Winfred looked at Mary Poppins. "We have a situation Mary Poppins. Jane won't leave the bathroom."