Chapter eighteen

Mary Poppins looked at Bert as the neighborhood pulled wood structures into place. Mary Poppins tried to lift a large beam and it slipped and cut down her arm form the wrist to her elbow. She ignored the sudden blossom of pain and forced the wooden beam into a standing position. A man grabbed it and began to rebuild with the others.
"Mary!" Bert exclaimed and ran over. "Your arm-"
"Is fine." Mary Poppins snapped and pulled her arm away from Bert. "Help the Banks please. The houses are almost finished." The neighborhood had been working tirelessly for weeks and the neighborhood was nearly rebuilt almost like it once was before.
Bert looked at Mary Poppins and sighed. "Mary please let-"
        Mary Poppins shook her head. "We must finish this little project." She said and turned as a child ran into her. She smiled. "Hello jack."
         Jack smiled and looked at Mary Poppins. "Hi'a Mary! Sorry about that."
          Mary Poppins shrugged it off and pushed pat Bert.
      Jane struggled to carry some wood over to some workers. Mary Poppins walked over and picked up the load of bricks. "Take one end and I'll help you carry it over."
       Jane took the other end. "Mary Poppins you're bleeding."
       Mary Poppins walked the load over to the working people and set it down. "I'll survive." She said softly.
         Bert walked over. "Mary ya need to stop! I beg ya."
       Mary Poppins looked at Bert. "I need to help them! My job is to help people. Like it or not Bert the Banks are close enough to be my family. I must help them." She said.
        Bert shook his head. "Mary what if somethin' 'appens to ya and the baby? The doctor said ya need to be in bed rest."
           "I'm fine!" Mary Poppins snapped and everyone else stared at them. Mary Poppins blushed. "Go home Bert."
           "I'm not leavin' ya here. What if-"
            "Go! Now Bert!" Mary Poppins snapped and pointed in the direction of their home. "Go!"
              Bert grabbed Mary Poppins around her waist and picked her up. "Fine. I'll go 'ome."
             "Bert put me down!" Mary Poppins said and tried to pull his arms off.
               He shook his head and walked away from the crowd of people. "Ya can be mad at me later." He said and they arrived at the house.
                 Elizabeth sat on the couch talking with John. "Mother what happened to your arm?"
                Mary Poppins slammed the door so hard the pictures on the wall shook and one even fell. Mary Poppins stormed past Bert and walked into their room.
               "Daddy?" John asked. "Is mother alright?"
              Bert sat down on the couch. "She'll thank me later."
            Mary Poppins refused to speak to Bert for the next two weeks.
           She found herself on the rocking chair with a book in her lap. She stretched her arm out and winced as the gash in her arm ripped open. She had it wrapped so it didn't bleed through. She closed her eyes and rested a hand on her stomach.
          "Mother are you and father alright?" Elizabeth asked as she entered the room.
           Mary Poppins opened her eyes. "Why wouldn't we be. Don't wo-" she let out a breath as pain slammed through her. The passed and she clenched her fists. "Don't worry sweetheart." She said.
           Elizabeths eyes widened. "Are you alright?"
           Mary Poppins nodded. "I'm fine. Don't worry." She said and stood up.
           The door opened and John bounced in. Bert followed and shut the door behind him.
           Mary Poppins eyes widened. "You're filthy!"
           John smiled and hugged Mary Poppins. Mary Poppins froze as he got mud, dirt, and ash on her dress. He looked at her. "I went up a chimney."
          Mary Poppins peeled his arms away. "I can tell." She said. He quickly touched both her cheeks with his filthy hands and kissed her.
          "I love you! I'll go bathe now!" He said and ran to the bathroom.
           Mary Poppins didn't know how to respond. Her eyes were wide and she grabbed a rag from the table. She wiped her face of the dirt and looked at Bert for an explanation.
          "Talk to me and I'll answer." He said.
          Mary Poppins pursed her lips and a hand flew to her stomach as pain blossomed through her. Strands of hair cluttered around her face. She let out a breath and looked at Bert.
       It was his turn to go wide eyed.