Chapter seventeen

Mary Poppins walked upstairs. The children were getting ready for school.
Jane walked over to Mary Poppins. "Can you tie my dress?"
Mary Poppins did as she was asked, ignoring her shaking hands.
Micheal looked at his nanny. "Mary Poppins are you alright?"
Mary Poppins nodded. "Quite. Now spit spot! You'll miss school." She said.
The kids grabbed their things and they walked downstairs.
Mary Poppins followed. Jane and Michael grabbed their lunch pails and ran outside. Mary Poppins watched them run down the sidewalk to their school. She shut the door and walked insides. She cleaned the house as best as she could before she sat in the rocking chair.
"Mary you're overworkin! Yourself." Bert said and climbed through the window.
Mary Poppins looked up. "Bert you can't keep climbing through the window."
Bert rolled his eyes. "Mary I'll call Mrs banks. Ya need to stop workin'."
Mary Poppins shook her head and stood up. "She threatened to replace me for being late this morning. I can't risk it. This is our source of income."
Bert looked at his wife. "Mary you're burnin' with fever and you're exhausted! I don't care if ya lose your job. Ya need to focus on getting better and stayin' safe."
Mary Poppins sighed and laid her head on Bert's chest. "I can't Bert."
There was a knock on the door which made both of them jump.
Winifred was bright red in the face as she walked in. "I didn't mean to startle you. I forgot something and I heard you two talking. Mary I'm sorry. I was stressed out and I shouldn't have said what I did."
Mary Poppins pushed away from Bert. "It's my fault entirely. I should have been on time." She said.
"I can take off the rest of the day. You should go home and rest. Mary take your leave. You can come back after the baby is born. It will be paid leave. I understand and your safety is the most important thing."
Mary Poppins looked at Winifred. "A-are you sure? I can work."
       "I'm sure. I can manage for now. You should focus on yourself." Winifred said.
       Mary Poppins nodded. "Thank you. I really appreciate your kindness." She said.
        Winifred smiled. "Anything for you Mary Poppins." She said and left the room.
       Bert smiled. "I'll grab your bag Mary." He said and walked to her room attached to the nursery. He came back and took her hand. "Let's get ya 'ome and ya can get some rest." He said and walked downstairs with her.
       Mary Poppins slipped on her coat and room berts hand into hers. He allowed her to lean on him as They walked down the street.
     Mary Poppins felt cool rain drops begin to fall. "Bert I left my umbrella."
       He looked at the sky. "Let's get ya 'ome and I'll return to the banks to get it for ya." He said.
        On cue the rain began to beat down heavily. The wind picked up. Then the sirens started. Mary Poppins froze. "Bert the radio spoke nothing of the Troops coming near us." She said.
      Bert quickly ran them to the nearest shelter. "Sometimes thing are unplanned." He said. "Ya know that."
        Mary Poppins closed her eyes. "I know what's going on most of the time Bert. I'm not used to being taken off guard." She said softly.
        He wrapped his arm around her and pulled her into the shelter. Many other people had filed in. Mary Poppins felt dizzy and she gripped onto berts arm. "Bert I need to sit down." She whispered.
       Bert knelt down and pulled Mary Poppins into his lap. He pressed his lips to her cheek. "Are ya alright Mary?"
       Mary Poppins flushed and shook her head. "Not right now." She said softly.
       Bert wrapped his arms around his wife and they sat silently until the sirens ceased.
       Finally they all crawled out of the tiny shelter.
        Bert helped Mary Poppins into the fresh air. The ran hadn't stopped.
        Mary Poppins felt her chest tighten. "Bert we need to go to the banks."
        "Mary we need to get ya 'ome."
         Mary Poppins pushes past him and walked quickly towards the Banks house.
          "Mary where are ya goin'? They're fine!" Bert said and ran after her.
          Mary Poppins froze when she saw the house.
           The street of houses was destroyed.