Chapter three

Another Bomb fell sending Mary to the ground. She gripped the child tightly. Scrap metal flew past her. Mary Poppins covered the child's face and Mary Poppins felt the metal bite her skin.
Mary Poppins approached the shelter and she entered with the shaking child.
Bert, being closer to the entrance, along side the Banks, looked up. He said nothing and held out his arms. Mary Poppins set the child in his arms and sat next to him. She pulled out her mirror and examined her injuries on her face. Blood dropped from a cut on her forehead and she had a large scrape on her cheek. Tiny scratches marred her face. "Oh my." She said softly. "Not a problem. Cuts heal." She said and put the mirror in its spot. She looked at the child. "You should be more careful. You could've gotten hurt being left outside. Did you not here the sirens?"
The child looked at her. "I did. I don't remember where the shelter was. Mom and dad hasn't taught me the spot yet."
"How ridiculous. What parents don't teach their children the shelters during a war?" Mary Poppins asked.
"I 'avent seen em miss. Not since the last raid." The child said.
Mary Poppins pressed her lips together. "I do suppose you could stay with me then. Until other arrangements can be made."
"You mean it miss?" The child asked.
Mary Poppins nodded and the sirens died down. She stood up. "Lets go on then. The threat is gone." She said and held out her hand. The child grasped her hand.
Mary Poppins winced and looked at her waist. Blood stained her clothes.
She pressed a hand to her waist and let out a breath. "I do suppose I have been injured more then I thought."
Bert looked at her. "Come 'ome Mary. I'll patch ya up." He said.
Mary Poppins reluctantly nodded. "Very well. Come on then."
Bert followed them out of the shelter. "I'll clean ya up and then you can be on you're way." He said and led them to berts tiny apartment.
Mary Poppins set her bag down and pulled out her tape measurer. Bert removed Mary Poppins coat and examined the damage.
"What should I call you?" Mary Poppins asked the child.
"My names Elizabeth." The child said.
"Very well. Stand straight. Head up." Mary Poppins said and measured the child. "Naive and stubborn." She said.
"What's stubborn? What's his measurements?" Elizabeth asked.
"You're stubborn." Mary Poppins said. "Very well. Hold this end." She said and measured Bert. "As I suspected. Childish and extremely smart." She said.
Bert said nothing. "You'll 'ave to remove your dressing." He said.
"Very well. Elizabeth see you're self to the bathroom. I'll see you in a few minutes." Mary Poppins said.
The child obeyed. Mary Poppins obeyed Bert and removed her garments.
He picked up his kit and began to dress her wounds. "I don't see any scrap metal in your wounds. Just some nasty cuts." He said. He cleaned her up. "I have one of dresses in my wardrobe." He said after he cleaned her up.
Mary Poppins walked to the wardrobe and pulled the dress out. She pulled her clothing on and gathered up the torn and bloodied dress. She put it in her bag and picked it up. She walked into berts bathroom and began to run hot water for the girl. She removed the girls outer garments and put bubbles into the hot water. She lifted the child into The water and helped her clean herself.
She finished the girls bath and helped her dry off. She pulled a fresh set of clothes out of her bag and helped the child dress in fresh clothes.
She led the child out of the bathroom and looked at Bert. She sighed. "I suppose I can say for a little while longer."

A little while turned into six months. Mary Poppins felt the wind pick up. She caught a piece of paper in the air outside the window. "The Banks again? It's odd enough to have a family twice. Let along three times." She said.
Bert looked up. Elizabeth was sleep in his arms. "At least you can stay 'ere." He said.
Mary Poppins said nothing and walked to the door. She grabbed her bag and umbrella. "I'll be in town. That's correct. I'll when my usual second Tuesday off as well." She said and opened the door. "Off we go." She said and shut the door behind her. She walked down the rode to the familiar house.
The door opened and she walked inside.
Winifred looked at her. "Oh! I'm so glad I see you! We need a nanny. George-" her face fell. "He passed last night and-"
"I see. I'm sorry. My deepest condolences. I'll see to the children now." She said.
She walked upstairs to the children's nursery. They looked at her. Their faces glum.
"Chin up. This room is a mess." She said.
Jane looked at her lap. " I don't feel like cleaning."
Michael looked at Mary Poppins. "You're huge Mary Poppins!"
Mary Poppins mouth dropped. "Michael! I taught you better." She said. "Remember I am with child." She said. "Now up up. This nursery is filthy." She said.
Jane stood up. "Are you here to stay?" She asked.
"Until the winds change." Mary Poppins said simply.