Chapter six

Mary Poppins looked at her son, John. He was now a four year old.
Elizabeth was ten years old.
Mary still found herself with the Banks. Jane, now 14. And Michael, now 12.
The Banks family and Mary, berry and her children where in the park. Mary Poppins watched John play with his sister.
"Mother?" Elizabeth asked.
Mary Poppins lifted her head. "Yes?"
"Why don't you play with us like father does?"
"Playing is quite foolish." She said. "I only play games if they provide a purpose." She said.
"Maybe Josephine is right." Elizabeth said.
"About what?" Mary Poppins asked.
Elizabeth stood up. "You're a lousy mother." She snapped and ran off.
Mary Poppins stood up.
Bert looked at her. "I'll go after 'er." He said.
Mary Poppins crossed her arms. "Very well."
Bert ran after his daughter.
"I love you mother." John said. "You're perfect."
"Practically." Mary Poppins said to her son. "Come. Let's go see where your sister ran off to." She said. "I'll return in a little while Mrs. Banks." She said and held her sons hand and walked down the sidewalk.
"You're not lousy." Her son said.
Mary Poppins looked at him. "Thank you. You're not lousy either."
She spotted Elizabeth with her father. She walked over and picked her son up into her arms. He yawned and buried his face against her shoulder. Mary Poppins stiffened. She walked to Bert and knelt down.
Elizabeth didn't look at Mary Poppins.
Mary Poppins set John in Bert's lap. "Elizabeth what is this nonsense?"
"It's not nonsense! You're a horrible mother! You don't treat your own children like you love them. You treat Jane and Michael like you're their mother."
Mary Poppins sighed. "Don't be foolish."
"You're foolish! Drop the act!" Elizabeth snapped. "I hate you." She snapped and ran away from them into Bert's apartment.
Mary Poppins stood up. "So I see." She whispered.
"She's not completely Lyin' Mary. You don't know 'ow to mother." Bert said.
Mary Poppins looked at Bert. "Can you blame me? You've met my mother. And didn't plan on mothering."
"You're their mother. Whether you planned it or not." Bert said. "You 'ave to act like it." He said. He stood up.
Mary Poppins held her hands tightly. "I suppose I will try harder." She said.
"Don't tell me. Tell your dau'er." Bert said and walked to the apartment.
Mary Poppins simply nodded. "I suppose I shall." She said and walked to the apartment. She walked inside.
She shut the door behind her.
Ms. Poppins stood in the center of the room. Everyone looked at her but said nothing.
"Well spit it out." Mary Poppins said.
Ms. Poppins sighed. "Uncle Alberto passed yes'erday."
Mary Poppins felt like the floor dropped beneath her. She said nothing. "I see." She said softly after a few moments.
Bert stood up. "Are you alright?"
Mary Poppins felt tears prick her eyes but she nodded. "Quite."
"Mary it's alright to be sad." Bert said.
"Mother?" John asked.
Mary Poppins looked at her son. She held out her hand. "I'm okay." She said and the boy ran to grab her hand. "Thank you for informing me mother." She said. As if with the snap of we finger she was back to her usual self. "How rude. I didn't offer you a drink. What would you like?" Mary Poppins asked her mother.
Her mother said nothing.
"Very well then." Mary Poppins said. She let go of her sons hands. "Elizabeth. Come with me to the market." She said. "We have much to pick up." She said.
Elizabeth looked at her mother. "I-"
"Don't Lolly gag. Come, spit spot." She said and held out her hand.
Elizabeth said nothing but obeyed.