Chapter eight

Mary Poppins held her sleeping son on her lap. "I do hope Mrs. Banks won't mind that I didn't return." She said. "I'll have to come in early tomorrow morning."
    "I'm sure she won't mind Mary." Bert said. "Would it kill ya to spend time with you're family?" He asked.
      Mary Poppins gave him a dark look. "You know how I feel about my work Bert. Quit acting like a child." She said.
     "I mean it Mary. You're never 'ome. I miss ya." Bert said.
     Mary Poppins smiled and moved closer to her husbands side. "I miss you too." She said.
  "Then call in tomorrow." He said.
   "I could never! I already missed the entirety of the day. I have this weeks Tuesday off. Be patient." Mary Poppins said.
    "Not even for me?" Bert asked.
    "Bert please." Mary Poppins said and stood up. "I'm putting him to bed. Then I have to be off to the Banks house." She said and walked to the children's room. She set John in his bed and kissed his forehead. "Sleep well John." She said. She walked to Elizabeth's bed. She was already asleep. She kissed Elizabeth's forehead. "Goodnight Elizabeth." She said and walked to the door. She shut their door behind her.
     Bert handed her, her bag. "Stay safe." He said. 
     "I will. I promise." She said. She kissed Bert's forehead.
     "That's a pie crust promise." Bert said.
    "Nonsense. I'll be fine." Mary Poppins said.
    She found herself at the Banks house in no time. She opened the door and shut it behind her. She walked up to her room and set her bag down. She sat in her rocking chair and sighed. She did miss her family. She secretly longed for this week to go by quickly.

     The week did drag on for Mary Poppins but as soon as her day off came she found herself at her husbands apartment.
     "The children are with your mother." Bert said. "I've missed ya." He said.
      Mary Poppins smiled. "I've missed you too Bert." She said.
     Bert picked Mary Poppins up and spun her. "I've got a lovely day planned." He said.
      "Do you?" May Poppins asked.

     Indeed Bert did had a fun day planned. Mary Poppins found herself exhausted by the end of the day. She returned to the Banks house and sat down in the rocking chair. The Banks were asleep.
     Mary Poppins smiled as she thought of her day. What she would do to spend the day with Bert again.
She returned to the Banks house and was in her rocking chair when they arrived home from school.
Jane looked at Mary Poppins but said nothing. She only sat on her bed and began her homework.
Micheal ran in. "We had a substitute teacher today! She yelled at Jane because Jane asked to go to the washroom. She was a wicked teacher but she did give us extra recess time." He said.
Mary Poppins looked at Jane. "Did you talk back?"
Jane shook her head. "I ruined my dress though."
Micheal frowned. "How? Did you tear it?"
     Mary Poppins stood up. "Micheal can you help Ellen in the kitchen please?"
      Micheal nodded. "Okay. I'll be back!" He said and ran out of the room.
     Mary Poppins walked over to Jane. "You ruined your dress?"
      Jane nodded. "I went to the bathroom to clean it off but it didn't work."
     Mary Poppins sat on the bed. "Has this happened before?"
      Jane nodded. "My teachers a female. She never makes us wait." Jane said.
     "Well why don't you go change and I'll speak with your mother about this and we'll see about this substitute teacher." Mary Poppins said.
     Jane nodded and looked at Mary Poppins. She threw her arms around her nanny. "I wish you were my mother Mary Poppins."
       Mary Poppins rubbed Jane's back. "I'm not so sure about that but thank you." Mary Poppins said. "Now go on. Spit spot."
     Jane got off the bed and walked to her wardrobe. She pulled a new dress out and walked to the bathroom.
     Mary Poppins walked downstairs and saw Winifred in the sitting room. "Mrs. Banks?"
     Winifred looked up. "Yes? Sorry I was working on items for our next meeting. You should come someday. A strong female like you who cares for we family would be an inspiration."
     Mary Poppins shook her head. "Oh I don't think so. I don't bring enough money home to finance our family. That's all Bert. A jack of all trades. But I will say I'm proud to share a gender with you. Anywho, I must speak to you about Jane."