Chapter seven

"Mother I didn't mean my words." Elizabeth said.
"That's quite alright. You spoke the truth." Mary Poppins said. She stopped. "I apologize. You're quite right. I have been a horrid mother. I'm afraid I don't know how to be a mother. I'll try harder." Mary Poppins said.
"You've been a nanny for so long. How can you not know how to be a mother?" She asked.
"Being a mother is different than being a nanny. Yes I love the children. Very much. But it's nothing compared to being a mother. I love you all more than I've ever loved anyone else. I'm afraid I don't know how to show it yet." She said.
"Why didn't you add nannying in with being a mother? Try it out? It's worth a try." Elizabeth said.
Mary Poppins nodded. "I suppose it is. Thank you Elizabeth. I do hope you can forgive me." She said.
"I already have." Elizabeth said.
Mary Poppins walked forward. "We have to pick up some tea and-"
Elizabeth saw the bird lady Singing. "Mother may I?"
Mary Poppins looked at the birds. "Do you have your tuppence?" Mary Poppins asked.
Elizabeth nodded.
"Then go on." Mary Poppins said. "I'll meet you at the church. I'll pick up the tea." She said.
     "Mother how long have you worked with one family at a time?" Elizabeth asked.
     Mary Poppins straightened her posture. "I do believe Jane and Michael have been the family I've worked the longest with." Mary Poppins said.
      "What happens when you leave them?" Elizabeth asked.
     Mary Poppins looked at the sky. "I suppose I'll move on to another family." Though she knew deep down she would be crushed. She loved Jane and Michael. She's had a bond with them unlike any other child she's ever worked with. She shrugged the feeling off for now and started off to the market. She got the items she needed and walked to the church. Elizabeth wasn't there. Mary Poppins looked around. "Elizabeth?" She called.
      She looked around. "Elizabeth where are you?" She asked.
      "She followed a man who said he was her father." The bird women said.
    Mary Poppins nodded. "Thank you." She said and walked quickly to the apartment. She set her bags down when she entered. "Bert where's Elizabeth?"
     Bert looked at his wife. "She was with you."
     "She wouldn't just go off with a stranger." Mary Poppins said. "She was feeding the birds and I said I would meet her at the church."
      Bert stood up. "We 'ave to find 'er!"
     Mary Poppins looked at her son. Her mother stood in the Doorway. "I'll stay with 'im." She said. "Go on."
     Mary Poppins ran after Bert outside. She ran to the church. "Elizabeth? Where have you gone?" She called.
     She knew she wouldn't get a reply. She looked in the near by alley.
      Her heart was pounding. Only more proof she was still human.
     She heard Bert calling.
     A hand covered Mary Poppins mouth. "Don't try anythin'." The voice said and pulled her into the alley.
     He threw her against the wall. "Well well. What do we 'ave 'ere? Mary Poppins. Bert is right you're a pretty one." An older man said.
      "What do you want?" She asked and straightened her posture.
      "You of course." He said.
      Mary rolled her eyes and walked past him.
    He grabbed her. "Get 'er boys!" He yelled and threw Mary Poppins to the ground.
     Mary Poppins only felt pain next. Her breath was kicked out of her as a mans foot was sent into her ribs. His foot caught her cheek next.
     The pain didn't cease but their kicking stopped when she couldn't fight back. She heard them walk away.
     Laughing drunkenly as they did.
     "Mary! I found 'er!" Bert called. "Where are ya?"
     Mary Poppins winced but forced herself to stand. She forced herself to walk to the entree of the alley.
     Bert spotted her and stopped. "Mary 'ho did this to ya?"
      "I'll be okay. In time." She said. "It will only take me an hour or so to heal." Mary Poppins said. She looked at Elizabeth. "Oh thank goodness you're alright!" She said and touched her daughters cheek. "Did anyone harm you?"
     Elizabeth shook her head. "Father got to me before they could. Mother what happened?"
     Mary Poppins only shrugged it off. "Nothing I cannot manage. Come. Let's return home." She said.
     Bert looked at Mary Poppins with worry. "Yes. Let's do so."