Chapter sixteen

Mary Poppins walked into the Banks house with Bert's help.
Jane ran to the door. "They found
Him! He's at the hospital. They said someone pushed him into the river and he got sick from the cold."
Mary Poppins felt her knees go and Bert wrapped his arms around her waist. "Mary ya should've grabbed a coat." He said. "And ya shouldn't 'ave been in the cold."
He picked her up bridal style. "Jane would ya grab 'er coat? I'm bringing 'er to 'ospital." He said.
      "Bert that's hardly necessary." Mary Poppins said. She closed her eyes however and laid her head on Bert's shoulder.
      "I'd say it's very necessary." He said. Jane handed him Mary Poppins coat. He set her on the couch and helped her with her coat. "Don't argue with me."
      "Bert we can't afford-"
      "Let me worry about what we can afford. Ya worry about gettin' better." He said and helped her stand. He held her up by her waist and walked her to the door. "Jane will ya be okay?"
      Jane nodded. "Thank you for your help Mary Poppins. Keep her safe Bert. She has to come back sooner or later."
Bert nodded and walked Mary Poppins outside. They walked slowly down the sidewalk.
Bert led her into the hospital and checked her in.
They put her in the same room as Elizabeth.
         Elizabeth was sleep. Bert left her alone with her daughter to pick up John.
         Mary Poppins Laid on her bed and closed her eyes. She felt herself start to drift to sleep.
         "Mother?"
          Mary poppins eyes flew open. She looked at Elizabeth. "You're awake!"
           Elizabeth yawned.
           Mary Poppins reached over and pressed the call button.
           A few nurses entered. "Well look what we have here!" A nurse said and walked over to Elizabeth.
           As much as Mary Poppins wanted to stay awake she felt herself drift to sleep.
         Mary woke up a few hours later. Bert sat on her bed.
       Mary Poppins sat up. Bert looked at her. "Good! Your awake!"
        Mary Poppins yawned and held a hand to her forehead. "I miss my magic." She said softly. "My head hurts."
         Bert laid a hand on his wife's. "I'm sorry my love."
        Mary Poppins looked at her daughter. "Hello sweetheart."
        Elizabeth smiled. "Hi mother. I feel so much better."
      Mary Poppins smiled. "Good. I'm glad." She said softly.
      Bert looked at Mary Poppins. "Mary the doctor say ya need to be in bed rest. Ya can't work anymore." Bert said. "At least not for now."
        Mary Poppins Laid back on the bed. "I know. I'm exhausted." She said softly.
Bert looked at her. "Ya may be tired but ya still practically perfect." He said.
Mary Poppins smiled. "Thank you Bert."

       Nearly a month had passed. The family had returned home.
       Mary Poppins sat in the banks house. Jane looked at Mary Poppins from the couch. "Mary Poppins you look tired."
       Mary Poppins had returned to work despite needing to be on bed rest. She was tired but she Denver let it show if she could help if. She looked at Jane. "Oh I'm alright." The door opened and Winifred walked in. "Hello Mrs. Banks." She said and stood up.
       Winifred looked at Mary Poppins. "Hello Mary Poppins. I can handle it from here. You should go home. Rest."
       Mary Poppins smiled. "I'm not as tired as I look. Will I return tomorrow?"
       Winifred nodded. "I have a meeting tomorrow. It'll last all day."
         Mary Poppins nodded and grabbed her coat. "I'll be here bright and early." She said and walked to the door. She slipped her coat on and walked outside, closing the door behind her.
        She arrived at home and nearly collapsed in bed as she did. She couldn't even manage to pull off her coat.
      She woke to Bert's gentle hands taking her coat off and slipping her into sleep clothes. Mary Poppins curled against her husband as he slipped into bed.
      She woke the next morning. She was exhausted and her body was on fire. Bert held his hand to her forehead. "You're burnin' up Mary." He said. "Ya need to stay 'ome." He said.
       Mary Poppins shook her head. "No. Don't be silly Bert. We need the money, Winifred will be gone all day anyhow." She said and forced herself to sit up. Her head instantly started to pound. "Could you walk me to the Banks house?"
      Bert pursed his lips. "Mary I really don't think ya should-"
       Mary Poppins slipped into fresh clothes slowly as not to stumble. "Bert please don't argue."
        Bert sighed and nodded. "Let me get the kids ready to go to the neighbor." He said and walked out of the room.
      Mary Poppins leaned on the door frame and closed her eyes. Bert got the children ready and by the door.
     He handed Mary Poppins her coat and helped her slip it on. His arm wrapped around Mary Poppins waist and took johns hand into his. Elizabeth took Mary Poppins cool hand into hers and they all walked to the Banks house.
          Bert kissed Mary Poppins head. "Call me if something' goes wrong. I'll be 'ere in a 'urry." He said.
      Mary Poppins nodded and walked inside. She shrugged her coat off and set it on the rack.
       Winifred pulled her sash on. "You're late."
        Mary Poppins felt off balance. "I apologize." She said.
        "Be more considerate. I don't have to allow you to work here. I can find someone else." She said. "Don't give me a reason to find another nanny." She snapped and walked out of the house.
       Mary Poppins looked at Ellen who was in the kitchen doorway. She raised her eyebrow. "What ruffles her feather this morning?"
       Ellen shrugged. "You are late."
        "I'm a pregnant mother with two other children and a husband to get ready in the morning." Mary Poppins said.
        "She's counting on you to be on time. If you can't do your job and have a family then you should consider a new job." She said and shut the kitchen door.
      Mary Poppins sighed. "Something must be in the air today." She murmured.