Chapter thirteen

Bert looked at Mary Poppins. "You're not expected to be anythin'!"
     Mary Poppins crossed her arms. "You know fair well what people expect of me! I'm sorry I'm not perfect! Okay? I try!"
      "Then don't try! Stop!" Bert yelled.
      Mary Poppins took a step forward. "Bert I'm trying really hard-"
"I think ya need to leave." He said.
Mary Poppins looked at him. She felt the tears prick her eyes. "Bert, please."
He shook his head. "Go 'ome Mary."
Mary Poppins knew she shouldn't have left then but the way Bert acted, she couldn't disobey him. She returned home that day and cried the rest of the day. Less than perfect.
       Mary Poppins finally pulled herself together a few hours later. She was exhausted but knew she needed to get work done or go back to the hospital.
She walked to the door and walked to the foyee. She walked to the mail box first and gathered their mail. Bills. A lot of them.
She walked back into the apartment and sat down to looked at what they owed. When she finally sorted them all out she leaned on her Elbow. "Oh help." She whispered. She had enough to pay for all the bills but she had little to nothing left over.
Mary Poppins stood up. She had to work. Even if her body or the doctor disagreed.
She walked outside the apartment and walked down the road. She returned to the Banks house and knocked on the door.
Winifred opened it. "Oh Mary Poppins! Are you feeling better? I'm happy to hear you're with child."
Mary Poppins walked into the house. "I'm well." She said. "I hope it's alright I haven't returned in quite a while."
Winfred smiled. "It's alright. I understand. It's good to have you back Mary Poppins. Just keep from working too hard."
Mary Poppins was already half way up the stairs. She said nothing about the comment and walked up to the children's room.
Micheal looked up as she entered. "Mary Poppins! You're back!" He cried and ran over. He hugged her tightly. "I've missed you!"
          Mary Poppins smiled. "I missed you too."
      He looked up at her. "Are you ere to stay?"
      Mary Poppins looked at the boy. "I believe I will be staying in London for the time being. Until my children are finished with their schooling."
      Micheal smiled. "And that includes the new one?" He asked.
       Mary Poppins nodded. "I suppose so."
    Jane looked at Mary Poppins. "What do you think it is? A boy or a girl?"
      Mary Poppins walked to her rocking chair and sat down. "I haven't the slightest idea. I do hope for another file but children are wonderful no barer what their gender is." Mary Poppins said.
      Jane nodded and crossed her arms. "I hope its a girl." She said. "You have such a nice family Mary Poppins."
     Mary Poppins looked down. "Thank you." She whispered. How she wished Jane's words would be true.
     Weeks went by quickly and Mary Poppins was now five months pregnant. She was exhausted and refused to take any days off in order to pay for all the bills that were due. Bert still refused to speak to her and Elizabeth was still in the hospital.
      John stayed with her on and off but he preferred to be with Bert and his sister.
      Mary Poppins closed her eyes and rested her head on her hand. The children were going their school work.
     The doorbell rang downstairs.
      Jane stood up. "Do you want me to get it?"
     Mary Poppins opened her eyes. "No. You're parents are not home. I'll see who it is." Mary Poppins said and stood up. She walked downstairs and pulled the door open.
     Bert stood on the doorstep. " 'ello Mary." He said.
     Mary Poppins leaned on the doorframe. "Bert."
      He rubbed the back of his neck. "I've missed ya Mary. I came to say I'm sorry." He said. "I overreacted."
     Mary Poppins looked at her husband. She married him for all his faults. She straightened. "I will always forgive you Bert." She said softly. "I do hope you'll forgive me too."
      Bert held out his hand. "I forgive ya."
     Mary Poppins pulled him to her chest and hugged him. "I love you Bert."
     Bert kissed Mary Poppins cheek. "I love ya too Mary." He whispered.