Chapter 14

With a stomach ache he drove to work on Monday morning and expected Yibo in his office, but he was not there. There was also no one there to ask where Yibo was. His mother was only in the office from Tuesday to Thursday, Hai Kuan was at a congress for something and Yibo's father was still working abroad. And so his personal assistant had no idea where his boss was. Since Yu Bin wasn't there either, he went to lunch alone and met no one less than Yibo's ex-boyfriend in the small restaurant. Not invited, he sat down at the table with Zhan and grinned at him the whole time. "Things aren't going so well with you and your boss these days?" Had he said to Zhan at some point and Zhan just reacted with a shrug.

"You better get used to it. Yibo is only your friend when it suits him, otherwise you are nothing but air for him. I know what I am talking about. You don't have to believe me, but I have no reason to lie. As long as Yibo was courting me, he was there and did everything for me, but as soon as I got involved with him, I only saw him when he wanted to. He will do the same with you." He said, knocked on the table and left. Zhan tried to reach Yibo again and again only the mailbox. Could it be that his ex-boyfriend was telling the truth? Could he have been manipulated to get Yibo what he wanted? Was it not all too fast anyway? Should he stick with his decision against a relationship with Yibo? This morning he had hoped to meet Yibo, get an explanation and then be happy again. But now? He did not want to be taken advantage of, he did not want to be used.

He was willing to give love a second chance and was disappointed. Time to draw his consequences. When his phone rang, he hoped for a millisecond it would be Yibo, but it was an unknown number. He talked to the person on the phone for almost ten minutes and when he hung up, it took him a moment to realize what had just happened. The caller, a CEO from South Korea, told him he had been warmly recommended Zhan as a personal assistant and when he asked who recommended him, they said it was his boss. Had Yibo wanted to get rid of him and do it this way? If so, then Zhan thought he should take the better paid job in Seoul and leave.

He went back to the office, wrote his resignation and put it on the desk of his, well, former boss. Then he packed his things and did not forget the pictures on Yibo's desk. He went to the personnel office and gave Hai Kuan's assistant his access card and left. Then he called his daughter's grandparents and told them he got a great job offer and told them he wanted to come and pick up his daughter the same day. He wanted to get out of Beijing, out of China. His heart was broken for the second time and now it hurt him even more than when his wife died. His new boss had told him that there was an apartment he could move into immediately and a child was no problem. After the phone call he went home, packed his most important papers and documents and then called Chuyue and asked him to do the rest for him.

When he arrived in his home town, he went to the real estate agency and offered his house for sale. He had often been asked if he wanted to sell and the agent was very happy and even had people interested who would buy the house immediately and for a higher amount than it was worth. He drove to the car rental and borrowed a van. And together with Chuyue and some other friends, they had cleaned the house practically overnight. A lot of things they took to a garbage dump, others they stored in a warehouse. His daughter helped to empty her room and when the real estate agent came in the morning with the prospective buyers, they took a good look at the house and signed the contract of sale. Zhan was happy about this. He informed his mother and sister about the sale and promised that as soon as the money arrived, he would transfer their share to them.

And then it was already time to say goodbye. His daughter was not really sad because she would finally live with her daddy. But Chuyue and his friends were very sad and some tears were shed. Chuyue took Zhan and YueYue to the airport, then Zhan gave him his car and they said goodbye with a hug. One last time he tried to reach Yibo, but this time he got a dial tone but Yibo did not pick up. He switched off his phone and boarded the plane with his daughter.

Arriving in Seoul, his new boss had send an employee pick him up from the airport and bring him to his apartment. Then the employee brought him and YueYue, whom he couldn't and wouldn't leave alone, to the office of his new boss, who not only looked friendly, but was also very nice. He played with YueYue while another employee went over the contract with Zhan. "We took the liberty of enrolling YueYue in school. She is only two blocks away from the apartment." Had the employee explained to him and Zhan was very grateful to him. "You're not starting here until next Monday, so you'll have time to settle in." His new boss told him. "You have to start school tomorrow." The boss told YueYue. She said with a laughing "Okay." 

Back in their new apartment, they unpacked their things and put them in the closet. Fortunately, everything was furnished and so they only had to put away what they brought with them. Afterwards they went shopping and had a look at the school from the outside. "Daddy, what about Yibo?" She asked her father and Zhan flinched when he heard the name. "Oh, little one, Yibo is just a friend, nothing more. I worked for him and now I don't. Daddy's a little mad at him and doesn't want to talk to him anymore." He explained to her. "Then I won't talk to him either." She said and gave Zhan her phone and asked him to block Yibo's number. He did the same on his phone. It had been 6 days since he had last seen and spoken to him and Yibo had not called him back or written to him and when his new boss told him that he had come to him on his recommendation, it was clear that he wanted to get rid of Zhan.

As Zhan lay in his new bed, he wondered what kind of way to break up with someone? Couldn't Yibo have just told him that he didn't want him anymore or had changed his mind? YueYue had called her grandparents in the evening and told them Yibo was evil and if he should ask for her, they should tell him they don't know where she is. Zhan had to smile when she said this. Inside he thought that if he really should be looking for them, which was unlikely, their grandparents wouldn't say anything anyway because Zhan had told them. She wouldn't even tell him if Yibo was really looking for them. That was what they had agreed upon, because Zhan wanted it that way.