Chapter 13

Xiao Zhan felt as if he was haunted by bad luck. Just a moment ago he was looking forward to the holiday with Yibo and spent a nice evening and an even nicer night with him, Yibo told him in the morning that he had forgotten an important business appointment and had to go home. Zhan wanted to go back with him, but Yibo told him to stay and wait for him. He would come back right after the appointment and continue his vacation with Zhan. "One day at the most, then I'll be back. You'll see, I'll be back tomorrow night at the latest. You'll stay here and rest a bit." Had he said to Zhan before he kissed Zhan goodbye and went back to Beijing. Zhan was happy at first, he could use a relaxed day after all. But then he got bored. Apart from the hut, there were only forests and mountains he didn't know anything about.

Besides, there was no reception on his phone and the phone in the hut was disconnected. No TV and just a book he wasn't interested in. All he could do was sleep. He had cooked himself something to eat, it was already eight o'clock in the evening and after that he wanted to go back to sleep. But suddenly there was an aging man standing in front of him and holding a knife in his face. "Who are you and why did you enter the house?" The old man asked him. Zhan told him that he was Wang Yibo's personal assistant and would wait for his return. The old man didn't believe a word he said. "The Wangs never bring strangers here, and if they do, they write to me first. "After all, I manage the hut for them." He had said to Zhan.

Zhan realized, no matter what he would say, the old man thought he was a squatter, secondly, he didn't seem to have a phone and thirdly, he could hardly say he was Yibo's boyfriend as he didn't want to expose Yibo. Zhan showed the old man the key that Yibo had left for him. But the old one was neither convinced nor did he care. "You can stay until tomorrow night. "But if Wang Yibo doesn't show up, you have to leave." Had he said to Zhan after they had argued back and forth for quite a while. The old one left and Zhan was happy, not only because he didn't have a knife in his face anymore, but also because Yibo would be back the next day and could clear everything up.

After the unexpected visit of the old, Zhan had gone to sleep. The morning he woke up, it was quiet around him, just like the day before after Yibo had left. He was not used to this kind of silence and it felt terrible for him. Lonely and alone. The feeling that he was the only one to survive an apocalypse accompanied him most of the day. He sat on a bench on the porch for almost an hour in the late afternoon, hoping Yibo would come during that time. But he did not come. He went back to the hut and ate the rest of what was left over from lunch. Around 7:00 p.m., someone unlocked the door, and Zhan joyfully ran to the door and called out "Yibo." But when the door opened, it was not Yibo, but the mean steward. "If Wang Yibo isn't here in an hour, you have to leave!" Said the old man to him and Zhan had a very bad feeling in his stomach.

The merciless old one and he waited and the one hour he gave passed faster than Zhan had thought. And there was still no trace of Yibo. The old one actually forced Zhan to leave the hut in the dark and cold at night. He accompanied him to the main road and showed him the direction Zhan had to take to get to the next place. Zhan was sure, the old one just wanted to make sure he really disappeared. Since he had no other choice and the steward had also taken the key to the hut from him, Zhan made his way on the Wen to the next village. He walked along the road for about two hours, no car passed him, the cold became more and more unbearable and Zhan became more and more angry. After almost three hours he reached a place and luckily found a small hotel that still had a free room.

He would have loved to go home immediately, but as he was told, the bus to the next place where there is a train station will not arrive until the next afternoon. Besides, he didn't want to just go home, what if Yibo would come and look for him there and he would be gone? The old man would surely tell him who sent Zhan to the next place, so he would come here and find him here. So he couldn't just leave. Since Zhan finally got reception on his phone again, he tried to reach Yibo, but it only went to voicemail. He was very worried about Yibo, maybe something had happened? The days came and went and neither Yibo appeared nor could Zhan reach him. On Saturday he was told that there was no bus on Sundays and so he took a bus to the next town and then a train to Beijing and another bus to his home.

He brought his suitcase upstairs to his apartment, went to his car that had been brought home in the meantime and then drove to Yibo's house. An employee opened the door and let him into the house. Zhan asked her where Yibo was, but she did not know. "The master didn't tell us anything." She explained and left to pursue her work. Zhan was really angry now. He was angry and he didn't want to wait for that unreliable guy anymore. He had wasted days waiting, spending lots of money to wait and come home. He went upstairs to the bedroom, packed up his stuff and then went home again. He told himself that no matter how he feels about Yibo, someone who is so unreliable is not good for him or his daughter, so he made a decision!

 He told himself that no matter how he feels about Yibo, someone who is so unreliable is not good for him or his daughter, so he made a decision!