chapter twenty-nine

finn's pov:

we went to the mall again the next day, because everybody wanted to go shopping. i didn't really want to, but millie did, so i did. i wasn't going to buy anything, because i only had hours left to live. yes, hours. this was my last day on earth. the very last one until my spirit left my body. they were all trying on new shoes, and i was helping millie pick some out.

my body was in pain, and i was trying to take my mind from it. everybody kept staring at me, and it wasn't a surprise. the shop was packed full of people, and i stood out a lot with a thick breathing tube, a skinny, horrible, pale body and half a head of curls which was covered by a beanie. i didn't look like me at all and i hated it so much.

"are you okay?" millie asked.

i was about to reply, until i got interrupted by a voice that i didn't miss at all. ellie. my ex girlfriend. i cringed at the sound of her voice, and she was with her friends, annie and nadia. i felt even more sick at the sight of her. she approached us, and gave me a look of sympathy.

"finn! it's been too long." she said with a wide smile.

i awkwardly smiled whilst rubbing the back of my neck, "yeah."

"i see new faces!" she said excitedly, "who are they?"

"well that's noah, caleb, and that's my girlfriend, millie." i answered, making sure to emphasise the word girlfriend.

"oh, well it's great to meet you all. i saw you all and i couldn't help but stop by and say hello." she said, "i'm ellie. finn and i had a thing in the past but not anymore. no bad blood now, right?"

"i never said that-" she cut me off quickly.

i rolled my eyes as she began talking for what felt like hours. i didn't like ellie. she was sly, and she acted like she was such a nice person when in reality she was horrible. she was one of those people that didn't practice that they preached. it was embarrassing, really.

"i'm sorry about this." i heard a quiet voice from the side of me, annie. "i can see that you're obviously very sick. i heard the news, and ellie should be more considerate."

"it's okay." i replied.

"it's not, and that's the problem. she saw your girlfriend and immediately got jealous. i mean i can see why, millie has a lot on ellie." she said, "i'm so sorry that it turned out fatal."

"you don't have to apologise. it was gonna happen one day anyway. i'm not too fussed anymore." i said along with a sigh.

i turned around to see that ellie had her hands on millie's coat with a judging look on her face. sadie was giving ellie death glares, and with noah's face, i could tell that he was mentally judging her. caleb and gaten were away looking at basket ball sneakers.

"i don't think it suits you." ellie said, "it makes you bulk."

"hey! you can't say that. she never asked for your opinion." noah said.

"but sometimes opinions are needed." ellie replied.

"they're never needed from you." i stood up for her. "who are you to tell somebody that they look fat? nobody."

before ellie could reply, my legs gave up on me and i flew to the floor. everybody looked at me, literally everyone. due to how sick i looked, they all came rushing over to help. i looked at millie, seeing complete and utter fear in her eyes. i wanted to tell them that i was okay, but for some reason, i couldn't speak.

"what's wrong with him?" one of the workers said.

millie was about to reply, but ellie cut her off. "cancer, he has cancer."

"i'm okay." i croaked, "my legs just sometimes give up. i-i'm fine."

caleb and gaten both helped me up, everyone finally stopped panicking, and i immediately walked out of the store. i didn't want to stay in there once ellie had shouted that out. i felt so pitied, and like everybody was looking at me giving me sympathy that wouldn't work.

i took my phone out of my pocket, and started to call my dad. i wanted him to come and pick me up, i couldn't stay. my anxiety was at it's peak and it felt like my legs were going to give up at any minute, again.

"hello?" his voice was heard.

"dad. can you please come and pick me up from the mall? my legs just gave up on me in front of everybody and i'm panicking and i'm-" he cut me off.

"calm down, finn. i'll come and pick you up now, can you make it to the parking lot?" he asked.

"okay, yeah." i replied.

he soon ended the phone call, and i quickly walked to the parking lot. i felt a hand on my shoulder. it was sadie. she looked at me with her bright blue eyes, then back down to the floor. everybody was behind her.

"i need to say this to you in case i don't get to say this later." she said, "thank you for being my friend throughout all these years and i'm so sorry that you had to go through all this and it had to end this way. i hope you have the most amazing time up in heaven without us all, and i wish it could of ended differently. i love you, finn. you're amazing. there's so much i'd like so say with such little time. i hope you can understand how much i will miss you with my whole entire heart, my twirly haired best friend."

my twirly haired best friend. that's what she always called me when we were kids. she was my orange haired best friend. next, gaten walked up to me, giving me the tightest hug that i had ever received.

"i wish i knew what to say except i love you, brother. you're a fighter and you always have been." he said.

"i love you guys. if i don't see you next, i'll catch you on the flip side. however long that will be." i said, letting a tear run down my cheek.

we all had a huge group hug, even though millie was coming with
me. i hugged sadie and gaten the tightest, and after, sadie and i had our own separate hug. i wrapped my arms around her waist and squeezed her tightly. i heard her small sobs on my shoulder, and they literally broke my heart.

"i love you, sads." i said.

"i love you too, finn." she said, wiping her tears. "so long, friend."

••••••

one more chapter... get ready.