chapter five

millie's pov:

we were all walking to the lake, finn was walking in front with noah and gaten, i was walking behind with caleb and sadie. the lake was like a twenty minute walk away from where we were, which was sadie's house. the weather was great, we were all wearing shorts which never happened often due to the fact it was always mostly cold.

i looked at sadie to see her looking into the distance, it looked like she was deep in thought. caleb was on his phone, texting somebody, i didn't know who. gaten was waving his hands around, making random actions like he was explaining something. noah was singing a song to himself quietly, dancing along. finn was just listening to gaten.

"we're almost at the lake, it's like another five minutes." sadie told everyone.

soon enough we all got to the lake, we all had our swim suits underneath our clothes. i had on a white bikini that had red cherries on it. sadie has a plain purple one on, and the boys had just plain coloured swimming trunks on.

as finn took his shirt off, i noticed that he was pretty skinny, but had little abs. but he had a huge scar on his lower stomach, and one on his rib. that must of been the treatment from the last time he was sick. i frowned a little, but quickly shook it off.

"i'm gonna jump." finn said, looking over the edge of the ledge that was there.

"you're going to freeze." sadie said, looking down.

"who cares?" finn replied, before running up and jumping straight into the water. "holy shit it's so cold!"

"i told you, stupid ass!" sadie shouted down to him.

"well we came here to swim, come on!" finn yelled.

i heard footsteps behind me, i turned around to see caleb running and jumping too. after caleb, sadie went in. noah put his hand on his hip and looked down, thinking. however, noah didn't really get any time to think, because gaten ran by him and pushed him, making noah fall into the water.

i looked down, then i jumped in the water too. when i got into the water, my head went under. it was absolutely freezing, but in some way, refreshing. i pushed my wet hair out of my face and looked at everyone. noah was attempting to drown gaten, caleb and sadie were already far away into the lake, swimming. finn was climbing back onto the ledge.

"are you jumping again?" i asked.

"yeah." he replied, "shall we see who can jump the furthest?"

"sure." i replied, getting out of the water.

"on the count of three, one, two, three!" he said.

we both jumped off the ledge as far as we could, i went under once again, but i got up faster the second time. i shook my head to get my hair out of my face, and looked up to see finn a few inches away from me.

he smiled, "wolfhard stays undefeated!"

"you're such a nerd." i giggled, swimming away from him.

"hey!" he shouted, swimming towards me.

i laughed loudly and tried to swim away, but he grabbed my waist and picked me up. i screamed, trying to swim away. i heard him laugh loudly, so i pushed his head under the water.

"guys, it's getting pretty cloudy!" gaten yelled from the ledge.

"it's fine, it's probably just gonna blow over." caleb replied, swimming towards us all.

i grabbed one of the floaties and got back into the lake with it, swimming pretty far out. i looked up to the sky, and it did look like it was going to rain, but that didn't matter because we were already wet anyways. i did have a change of clothes which was grey sweatpants and a black crop top, so i'd be able to get dry if it did rain.

i looked back over to the ledge to see finn already getting changed back into his normal clothes. he put on some black sweatpants and a grey sweatshirt. i swam back to the ledge, deciding it was probably best that i got changed too. soon enough, everyone got changed into their clothes.

"i just felt rain, i think we should start to make our way home." noah said.

"yeah, my mom will kill me for being out in the cold. she said they can't risk me getting more sick or something." finn said.

"oh shit, yeah. let's head off." sadie said.

we all picked up our things and started to walk home. we were walking for around two minutes before rain started pouring quickly down. there was a bus shelter just down the street, so we quickly walked to there. sadie called her mom to come and pick us all up, which her mom said yes to.

her mum arrived around five minutes later and the rain was still heavily pouring. we all got into the car, which smelled like cherry air-freshener.

"did none of you check the weather before deciding it was a good day to swim?" sadie's mom asked with a chuckle.

"the sun was out this morning so we didn't expect it." sadie replied.

"there's new faces, who are your new friends?" her mom asked.

"oh, that's millie, noah and caleb. they go to hawkins high." sadie told her.

she nodded with a smile, "nice. how are you, finn?"

"i'm good, thanks." finn replied from the side of me.

sadie told her mom all of our addresses, and her mom dropped us all off at home. i said my goodbyes to everyone, and thanked sadie's mom. i walked into my house and polly greeted me with the usual barks.

"hey, girl." i cooed, petting her.

i walked up the stairs after, my mom was still at work. i sat on my bed, looking out of the window. i sighed, i hated rain. my mom wouldn't let me out to watch the stars if it was raining, so i'd have to watch them from the window. it was a good day until the rain had to ruin it.

•••••••

screw you rain