chapter twenty-six

millie's pov:

it was christmas eve, and finn was home and well. actually, he wasn't so well, but he was better than yesterday. he had a breathing tube as he started to struggle to breathe alone, it went through both of his nostrils. his hair had fallen out a lot more, so he covered it all up with a beanie. it was sad, it really was, but we weren't letting anything ruin our christmas spirit.

we were laid in my bed, wrapped in a bunch of blankets as we drank hot chocolate and watched a christmas movie, the grinch to be exact. i kept hearing finn let out little giggles, which made me smile. my room was freshly tidied, and it smelt like ginger due to the candles i had previously lit. i was in my pyjamas, and finn was in his sweatpants and a sweater. he didn't have his beanie on, because he didn't care about the look of him when he was with me, which i loved so much.

"what's your favourite movie?" i asked.

"probably the first maze runner." he replied, "what about you?"

"definitely angus, thongs and perfect snogging." i said.

"i've never seen it. i know my mom likes it though, she's into all that stuff." he replied.

we continued to watch the movie, well, finn was. i was listening to how heavy his breaths were due to the breathing tube. i leant my hand down and stroked his cheek with the pad of my thumb. i felt his phone vibrate, so he picked it up, it was a text from his mom.

mom; what time will you be home?

finn; i don't know

mom; be back for 20 minutes please

finn let out a groan as he turned around to me, pouting. i smiled at him, pulling him in for a hug. i felt his warm breath against my neck, until he pulled away.

"i need to give you your gifts before i forget." he said, quickly standing up and walking over to his bag.

he sat back on my bed, and pulled out three gifts. the first one was in a little white jewellery bag. it was the prettiest thing that i had ever seen. it was a golden necklace, with three circles around a little moon that was in the middle of it. the second one was a glass cube, with the universe inside it. it was called a map of the universe sculpture. i had always wanted one of those, but my mom said that they're a waste of money for what they actually were.

i looked up to him, "thank you so much, finnie. they're beautiful."

"you're welcome, and one more thing, but this one has more meaning. i basically just emptied out the money i had in my bank because i don't really need it." he said.

he pulled out a small ring box from his pocket and opened it. my eyes widened and my jaw dropped as the most beautiful ring was in there. it was in the shape of a tiara, with a few diamonds on it. i looked up at him in disbelief, a pandora ring?!

"before you speak, let me explain." he said, "this ring is a promise ring. i bought you it because i promise you that no matter what, i will always be here for you. not physically, obviously, because that's not possible. soon i'm pretty much going to be a gonner."

"finn-" i said, with tears welling up in my eyes.

"let me talk. i promise that every single night when you watch the stars without me, i'll actually be with you, except i won't be there. i'll be one of the stars, and i'll make sure i shine extra bright so you can get the best picture possible. and i promise that when you have kids and a whole new family, i'll protect you all. i'll be like your guardian angel." he said, giggling a little afterwards. "or if your new boyfriend ever hurts you i might just be kicked out of heaven for haunting him."