chapter twelve

millie's pov:

"i think this is the dumbest idea known to man." finn said, looking at me.

"what, getting kittens? i think it's a great idea. you don't like dogs, so the next best thing is a cat." i told him, shrugging.

"i do like dogs, they just scare me." he replied.

finn and i were out buying kittens. one for him, and one for me. the next thing on his list was to get a pet, and with the permission of our parents, we were at a pet shop, buying kittens. a bunch of kittens surrounded us, a mixture of different colours, breeds and sizes.

my heart basically melted as i watched finn petting some of the little kittens. he was petting a little grey and white tabby kitten that was constantly making 'meow' noises at him. i petted a little black kitten, but it seemed to run away.

"i think i love little guy." finn said about the little kitten that purred endlessly.

"none of them seem to like me." i said with a little laugh.

"i'm sure they do, how about that grey and white one over there?" he asked.

i turned around to see a little grey and white kitten in the corner. it was a lot chubbier and a little bigger than all of the other kittens, but it was adorable. nobody else at the pet store seemed to give it attention. kids were too focused on the puppies at the other side, and the adults were more focused on getting the tiniest, most cutest kitten they could possibly get.

i walked over to it and put my hand in the little pen it sat in, petting it's ear. it instantly purred at me and stood up. a woman that worked at the pet store walked up to me, she had browny-blondish hair, and she was very pretty. her name tag read maddie.

"have you decided whether you're going to buy?" she asked, with a brig smile.

"what gender is this?" i asked.

"oh, that's a female. her name is emmy, she's been here a while. she's three months old, she was a stray, so not many people want her." she told me.

i frowned, "could i please buy her?"

and there it was, finn and i got back into finn's car with two new pets. finn had decided on buying the kitten that he had been with all along, it was a male named milo. he was in love with him, he spoke to him like he was his very own child.

emmy was very adventurous as it seemed. she walked around finn's car, climbing on everything. milo was more cuddly and laid on finn's lap. finn started to drive once i had got emmy in my hands, and he drove to my house first. i knew that polly would like emmy and milo. she liked anything, she was a friendly dog.

we pulled up outside of my house and walked in, nobody was home. we walked straight up to my room and let the cats down from our hands as i shut my bedroom door, they instantly ran around, getting used to their surroundings, although it wouldn't be milo's surroundings for long.

"a girl from school invited us all to a party and said we can bring other people. do you want to come? you can bring caleb and noah along too." finn said.

"sure, but who's party?" i asked.

"oh, her name is grace." he replied.

"a party with a bunch of private school kids, great." i sarcastically said.

"hey, they're not snobby and rich, they're nice people. grace's parties get just as wild as people's parties that go to public schools. i can assure that you'll have fun." he told me.

"fine, i suppose." i said.

he smiled widely, "thank you, i think i'm gonna sing with my band."

"you think? don't think, you should do it no matter what. i think it will be a great opportunity for you to get yourself into music again." i told him.

"i guess so, but it's the cancer that is making me lose interest in everything. none if it is to my own personal doing." he replied.

"i know. i just mean that the only only reason you're drifting away from your passion is because you're letting it go away. if you stick at what you love, maybe it wont fade away so easily." i said.

after talking about the party for a while, we decided it was time to go back to finn's house. we took the kittens with us, and ally and zion seemed to love them. two minutes after we arrived, finn's mom left the house to go to the grocery store, so we were babysitting them.

ally was holding emmy in her two hands on the sofa, and zion was already loosing interest in the kittens, and gaining interest in trying to provoke finn. the younger boy sat on the older ones shoulders and continuously squished his cheeks.

"zion, if you don't get off my shoulders right now, i will literally throw you across this room." finn threatened.

"they fight a lot." ally told me as she sat next to me, "it gets annoying sometimes."

"yeah, i bet. i don't have siblings, so i guess i'm lucky." i said.

she gasped, "can i live with you? i'd love to never have finn and zion around me fighting all the time."

"you would miss them, the quietness wouldn't be what you're used to and you would want to go home." i smiled.

"yeah, i kinda love my brothers. finn is my best best brother, he helps me when the bullies make me sad." ally told me, "but zion sometimes helps the bullies. my mommy says it's because he's sad about finn. he wasn't mean before."

i looked up and zion and finn who were fighting like regular brothers do. zion was on finn's back as finn tried to get him off. milo was sat watching from the sofa with his little ears perked up. emmy was still on ally's lap.

"i'm sure zion won't be like it forever, he's your brother, he loves you. as for the bullies, whatever they say isn't true." i said.

"they say i'm ugly and stupid. they also say that it is my fault that finn is sick, and if he dies then they will laugh." she told me.

"are you talking about the bullies?" finn asked.

ally nodded as finn threw zion off of him and sat next to ally and me. zion sat on the floor and looked at us all.

"zion, you need to start helping her out at school. i don't care what you say, if somebody was doing that to you, ally would help you. you're her brother, just like me." finn told zion.

"why should i help her? she's mean to me too." zion replied.

"no she isn't. you're mean to her and it needs to stop." finn answered.

"but-" finn cut zion off.

"but nothing, zion. you need to help her."

••••••••

poor ally.