chapter sixteen

millie's pov:

we were all shopping for halloween costumes, but gaten decided that we had to eat first. we went to mcdonald's. i had some chicken nuggets with fries and a coca cola. finn had the same as me, except he had a chicken wrap instead of chicken nuggets. he still didn't feel too great after the chemo, but he was pushing through.

sadie and caleb were looking on caleb's phone to find some sort of halloween costume online that they could find in a store. noah and gaten were arguing, as usual. i smiled at the two of them, then i realized that i hadn't asked finn about gaten's sexuality, and noah was still awaiting my answer.

"finn." i whispered, "what is gaten's sexuality?"

"well, he told me a couple years back that he is bisexual. why?" he asked.

"noah wanted to know." i said with a smile.

"wait? noah likes him?" finn asked with wide eyes.

"is it not obvious?" i asked with a laugh.

he smiled at the both of them before taking a bite out of his wrap. we all finished our food and tried to find a store that sold halloween costumes. i didn't know what i wanted to dress as, but i had some sort of idea, like a devil, or a clown.

sadie had already said something about going as one of the power puff girls, or a girl version of chucky due to her red hair.

we came across a store, based solemnly on halloween. we all walked into that store and walked straight to the costumes. i found some white angel wings, and a white slim fit dress. it wasn't scary, but i could put my own twist to it.

"i want to be the joker!" finn claimed, caleb groaned.

"i wanted to be the joker!" caleb argued.

"i claimed it first." finn answered, "we can't both be joker."

"well what am i supposed to be? joker was my only idea!" caleb said, throwing his arms up in a tantrum.

"how about a devil? wear a black suit, and put on some horns. i could do your makeup. i'm being a devil, so we can be joint or something." sadie said.

"fine." caleb said.

finn smiled before picking up the joker costume and some face paints that he would need. i picked up the angel costume, and some fake blood. i got a halo, and decided that's what i wanted for definite. i walked to the cashier and paid for it, she gave me a spooky bag. finn paid after me, then noah, then gaten, then caleb, then sadie.

after that, we all walked to a supermarket where noah had to buy some things for his halloween party.

"who are you even gonna invite?" finn asked.

"just us." noah replied, picking up some fruit for his punch.

"won't that be boring?" sadie asked.

"not if we don't make it boring." noah said.

after getting everything we needed for halloween, including pumpkins, we headed back to the car. we all had two pumpinks each which we were using to decorate noah's house. we were all going home to carve them, and bringing them to noah's the next day.

i was getting a ride with finn. we put our things in the trunk and then got in the car. i turned on the radio, and a song that i didn't know the name of started to play. i laid my head back, letting out a sigh.

"are you okay?" finn asked.

"yeah, are you?" i asked.

"i'm fine. but do you promise that you're okay?" he asked.

"i promise." i replied.

he smiled, "okay, good."

*

finn's whole kitchen smelt of pumpkin as we scooped out the seeds from the inside of it. i smiled as i looked at him, he looked so concentrated. he looked cute when he was concentrated. finn was already carving the pumpkin, yet i was still stuck on scraping out the guts.

his mom and dad were both home, but they were in the living room. ally was in her bedroom, and zion was out with his friends family for the day. finn had made the carving pumpkins into a competition that ally would decide the winner off when we had finished.

"can you just please help me scoop this out?" i asked him.

"you're almost done. just make sure you stick to the edges. it's a little harder using a spoon, just use your hands, it's a lot faster." he said.

i sighed, "okay."

soon enough i had finished doing the guts, and i moved onto the carving. i got the black sharpie and drew out my pattern. i decided on doing the oogieboogie man from the nightmare before christmas. nobody ever seemed to do that.

i started to cut the pumpkin, and i was halfway through when i heard a loud bang. i looked up to see that finn had fallen over. i gasped before running over to him, kneeling down.

"what happened? are you okay?" i panicked.

"my legs just gave up on me. i'm fine." he replied.

it didn't take long for finn's parents to run through into the kitchen. they asked him a bunch of questions before deciding that it was okay for him to continue without telling the doctor. from then, he sat down whilst carving his pumpkin.

i smiled as i finished my pumpkin. finn finished at the same time. he looked very highly amused by his own pumpkin. he turned it around to show me, and it was jack skellington. i turned mine around, and he gasped.

"that's not fair, you're gonna win! ally loves the oogieboogie man! i thought i'd win her over by doing the nightmare before christmas." he said with a frown.

"unlucky, camper." i laughed.

we cleaned up the kitchen before putting both of our pumpkins on the kitchen counter. finn called down ally and she came downstairs within five minutes. she was wearing her pyjamas, with her hair up in a bun.

"that one." she said, pointing to mine.

"yes!" i fist pumped the air.

"no!" finn said, frowning.

"loser." ally smiled at him before walking back upstairs.

i checked the time, and it was nine thirty pm. i picked up my bags, and finn was giving me a ride home. i took the pumpkin that i made, and we both got into the car. he smiled at me before he started to drive.

the sky was dark, and we didn't watch the stars that night. i only watched them through the window of finn's car. my head rested on the window as i looked up.

"we should watch the stars tomorrow, after the halloween party." he said.

i smiled with a nod, "i've missed that."

"me too." he replied, "well, this is your house."

"thank you, finn." i smiled.

•••••••••••