chapter four

millie's pov:

it turned out that finn and i didn't go to the same school, finn, sadie and gaten went to a private school. caleb, noah and i had to go to sadie's house that we got the address for. noah was picking leaves from trees and throwing them at caleb who attempted to push him over.

"stop! you're so annoying!" caleb yelled, chasing after noah.

"you're both annoying! you act like two year olds!" i rolled my eyes.

we finally got to sadie's house, her house was pretty big. her garden was neatly cut, with a lot of flowers and decorations. i rang the doorbell and two minutes later, the door opened; revealing finn.

he was wearing a burgundy coloured blazer, with a white shirt, formal pants and a burgundy tie. he didn't have shoes on, just black socks. i had to admit, he looked hot in his school uniform.

"sadie, gaten, they're here!" finn shouted.

we heard loads of banging, then sadie and gaten arrived at the door. sadie didn't look how i expected her to look, she had pretty long red hair and bright blue eyes. gaten had curly hair, and no front teeth. finn smiled at me, i smiled back.

"hi, oh my gosh! you're so pretty." sadie said, bringing me into a hug.

"thanks! you're prettier." i said with a smile.

"it's so nice to meet you." gaten said, hugging me.

"why don't you have teeth?" noah asked gaten, causing finn to laugh loudly. 

"why are you so short?" gaten clapped back.

noah gave him a smile, "touché."

we all went inside sadie's house and went to her room. her room was a creme colour, with little fairy lights hanging from the walls. it was nice, but nothing like my overly decorated room. it had a few skateboards on the wall too. she was wearing the same uniform as finn, except with a pleated skirt and knee socks.

i looked at caleb, to notice that he was looking at sadie. i smiled to myself, and noah gave me a little grin, he was thinking what i was thinking. caleb always looked at people like that when he found them attractive, it was the same look that he used to give a girl that he liked, lia.

"do any of you want a drink? i have orange, chocolate milk, regular milk, water, coffee.." sadie said.

"water." finn said.

we all told sadie what drinks we want and she cane back upstairs with them after around five minutes, caleb volunteered in helping her. i thanked her once she gave my my orange juice. noah and gaten were in an argument that i couldn't tell if it was serious or not. finn was laid on sadie's bed with his head in the cushion.

sadie and caleb were sat speaking, so i walked to finn on the bed.

"are you okay?" i asked.

"i don't feel well again." he said, i frowned. "i've been throwing up all day."

"have you eaten anything?" i asked, he shook his head no.

"finn, your mom is on the phone." sadie said, giving her phone to finn.

"hello?" finn said.

i didn't know what his mom was saying on the other line, but it made finn's facial expressions change throughout. i got off the bed and went to sit on the lovesack in the corner of the room with sadie. she smiled at me, i smiled back.

*

after being at sadie's house for a while, finn and i decided to leave to watch the sunset. this time, though, we went inside the store to get some snacks. we got chips, cookies, chocolate and cherry slushies—it turned out that cherry was both of our favourite.

i looked at finn as he drank his slushie whilst looking up to the sky. i slyly took out my camera and took the picture for that night. i wrote the date on it and stuck it in my bag. to me, off guard photos were the best photos. it showed true emotion when you had no idea it was being taken.

"so how did you like my friends?" he asked.

"they're amazing, sadie is so kind, and gaten is really funny." i said.

he smiled, "caleb seemed like he didn't like me, but noah sure is a talker."

"caleb does like you, he just gives off the vibe that he doesn't like anybody. he doesn't like showing his emotions or like the way he feels about people." i told him.

he didn't say a word after that, he just rested his head on my shoulder and sighed. i rested my head on top of his and took a sip of my slushie. i looked down to see finn on his phone, looking through random things.

"tomorrow, after we go swimming, do you wanna come to my house?" he asked.

"sure." i replied.

"my mom called earlier when i was at sadie's, she told me that zion was saying things at school to his friends. he told them all that i was dying, and i'm definitely going to die, and when i die, he hopes he dies too." finn said.

i gasped quietly, finn's little brother was only ten years old. for a ten year old to say something like that, or for anyone to say that, was heartbreaking. it was something a ten year old shouldn't say. it was affecting finn, and i could tell.

i felt nothing but sympathy for finn and his family, especially his mom and dad. they had to see finn go through it before, and they were going to see it all again. finn had told me to see him after he had his chemo, so i was planning on it. he also said that he was scared for when his hair fell out, he said he hated that the most.

"i always meet the best people when my life is at risk." he sighed.

"life sucks, for sure. but you're making the most of it whilst it's here. i'm not leaving you until you take your last breath." i told him.

•••••••

its late but happy halloween you beautiful people🎃💛