chapter nineteen

millie's pov:

sunday, the most craziest day of my life. the next thing on finn's list was to get a tattoo. we had decided to get a constellation on each of our arms. we walked down the street, hand in hand as we tried to get to the tattoo parlour. it was called buckingham's. it was a family business that did tattoos, and their whole family were good at it. my mom recommended them.

i looked at finn who was wearing a black beanie, and gave him a smile. he looked back at me, doing the same. we soon came across the tattoo parlour, and walked in. the door made a little bell sound as we did so.

a kind looking blonde girl walked up to us, she didn't look very old. she was wearing a grey sweatshirt with some black leggings and converse. she also didn't look like the type of person to do tattoos.

"hey, i'm lilia. i'll be doing your tattoos today. is it for the both of you?" she asked with a kind smile.

"yeah, we're looking to get the same tattoo." i answered.

"oh, that's great! come and have a seat." she said, "who wants to go first? i'm the only one here today, my parents are on vacation."

"finn, can you go first?" i asked, a little nervous.

"sure." he replied.

he sat on the chair, and we told lilia what it was that we wanted. she got on with the tattoo straight away, she was really friendly. we were just talking about our lives. they weren't big tattoos, so it didn't take very long. she was telling us about her whole life and how she got into tattooing and art.

"my parents always loved art so i grew up surrounded by it. we moved here three years ago, and i've been homeschooled since." she said, "what about you, do you guys go to school?"

"yeah, hawkins public." i replied, she smiled.

"my parents were going to send me to that school, but i didn't wanna go. they suggested private, but i didn't want to go there either." she said, wiping some ink from finn's arm.

"i go to private school." finn said, "you should have gone, it's okay."

"homeschooling is better. you just get to stay home all day, eating cookies whilst your mom attempts to teach you. i don't really care about my education, because i know that my future is here." she said.

after finns tattoo was done, she wrapped it in some see-through wrap so that it didn't get infected or anything whilst it healed. then it was my turn. i sat in the chair, nervously. i felt sick, and i didn't really want to get it done. but i did, for finn.

the needle went into my arm, and it didn't sting as much as i thought it would. i let out a breath of relief, and the anxiety soon started to wash away. finn was examining some of the art on the walls.

"so, are you guys dating?" she asked as finn walked away.

"no." i replied.

"you're kidding me? you'd make the perfect couple. do you like him?" she asked.

"yeah, but there's only one thing, lilia. he has cancer, he might not make it much longer. that's why we're doing this. he has a list of things that he wants to do before he goes." i said.

she frowned, "oh my gosh, millie. i didn't expect that. i'm so sorry."

"it's okay." i said. "but yes, i do like him. he likes me too, but i don't know if we're gonna date."

"would you say yes if he asked?" she asked.

"yeah." i replied.

she let out a little squeal as she finished up with my tattoo. finn headed back to us, she looked at me with a smile and we both let out giggles. she was a really nice girl, and i could tell that if we went to the same school, we would of been very good friends.

she wrapped it in the same wrap as finn's, an then we paid her.

"thank you." i said, giving her a hug.

"no, thank you both for being great customers. i hope to see you guys around." she smiled.

we both gave her a smile before walking out of the door. finn took my arm and looked at my tattoo with a smile. although we got the tattoos to cross it off his bucket list, we got the constellation to symbolise the stars, and how they brought us together.

instead of going straight home, we walked inside of a little café. it was around twelve pm, so we decided to have lunch. finn ordered iced tea with pancakes, i did the same but with waffles. it was like a breakfast lunch kind of thing.

"are you feeling better today?" i asked, taking a bite of my waffles.

"much better than yesterday. sadie still hasn't spoken to me, though." he said.

"just be patient." i said, "have you texted her?"

"no. i'm just gonna talk to her on monday. it's better that i do it in person." he said.

i just nodded in response. we spoke about everything from each others home lives recently, to how good the food tasted. after breakfast, we went back to finn's car. we went back to finn's house, and his mom and dad stood in the kitchen.

i hadn't spoken to his dad an awful lot, but his mom and i got along pretty well. i guess it just never really appealed to me to have a conversation with his dad. but he did seem like a very nice man.

"did you get the tattoos?" his mom asked.

"yeah." finn replied.

"let me see." his mom said.

we both showed them our tattoos, and his dad showed us that he had one similar, but on the back of his leg. his was smaller than ours, but it was nice. after a while of talking, it was interrupted by zion running down the stairs, chasing after ally.

"mom, tell him to leave me alone!" ally shouted as he ran away.

"zee, leave your sister alone." their mom said.

however, the young curly haired boy didn't listen, and continued to chase after her. finn had enough of their squealing so we both went up the stairs. he flopped on his bed, so i flopped on top of him.

he looked at me with a smile, pushing my hair behind my ears. i just put my head on his chest and listens to his heart beat and the rhythm that it beat in. it was my favourite thing to listen to. it calmed me, and made me feel happiness that i didn't know existed.

••••

awwww