chapter one

millie's pov:

stars, i had always loved stars. i never knew why i loved stars so much, i just remember looking out of my window one night when i was seven years old, and finding a sudden interest in them. i believed that stars were angels, and shooting stars were angels that were falling from the sky to be guardian angels. the roof of seven eleven, that's where i watched the stars from.

my back was on the cold concrete as i looked up to the magical sky, and the white twinkles that surrounded it. i smiled to myself, watching the stars was my happy place, as stupid as it sounded. i took out my polaroid from my backpack and took a picture of the night sky, writing the date on the white part of the picture in black marker pen. i always did that, every single night.

"why are you sat on the roof of seven eleven?" i heard the voice of a male behind me.

i turned around to see a guy that looked around my age, he was pretty tall and had a head full of dark curls. he was wearing a grey sweatshirt with some black denim jeans and some black and white vans. he was quite cute, to say the least.

"why are you standing on the roof of seven eleven?" i asked.

he nodded with a smile, "smart. i'm finn, by the way."

"millie." i replied.

he sat next to me and looked at the little photograph in my hand. he picked up my camera and turned it round a little, investigating it. i let him look at my pictures as i looked up to the sky once again.

it was strange how the presence of a total stranger didn't bother me in the slightest, in fact, it made me feel more comfortable, more safe.

"are you a photographer?" he asked, looking at me.

"no, i just take pictures of the sky a lot. i love stars." i told him.

"oh, my little sister loves stars too. i never saw the big deal in them, her whole room is decorated with stars." finn said, i smiled.

"so is mine." i giggled a little.

my room wasn't like the average teenage girls room at all. my room was painted like the night sky, and planets with different constellations and galaxies. on my roof, i had those glow in the dark stars that most people had as kids, and obviously i had a bed, my closet, tv and things like that. i had a lot of fairy lights. it was a room fit for an astronomy nerd.

finn looked like a guy who would play sport, like a popular guy that all of the girls would chase after, and threw house parties every time his parents left town. but he seemed like he was too nice to ever be a popular jock.

"i like to sing, but i don't really do it anymore." he said, looking to the sky.

"why not?" i asked.

"i never feel like it anymore." he shrugged.

after looking at the stars for over an hour, i checked the time on my phone. it was eight fourty-seven pm. i huffed before starting to put my things back in my bag. finn also sat up, running a hand through his curls.

"i have to get home before my mom gets worried." i said.

"okay." he replied, standing up. "do you want a ride home?"

"are you sure? i don't want to make you late home or anything." i said.

he smiled, "it's fine, i don't have to be home until nine thirty so i think i'll be good."

"thanks, finn." i smiled.

we got both climbed down from the roof and got into finn's car. it was a black mini cooper. the inside of it smelt like oranges, it was a nice smell. i could tell that he took very good care of his car, there wasn't one speck of dirt, or even one wrapper.

he turned on the radio, and someone you loved by lewis capaldi started to play. i told him my address and he started to drive. he was driving for around ten minutes before we got to my house. i failed my driving test a total of three times, i gave up after that. i was too much of a panicked driver, thats what the instructor told me.

"c-can i have your number? maybe we could hang out again." i asked.

"sure." he said.

we gave each other our phones and typed our numbers in. he gave me my phone back with a smile. i unbuckled my seatbelt and opened the door.

"it was great meeting you, finn." i smiled.

"it was great to meet you too, have a good night." he replied.

i gave one last smile before walking into my house. the warmth instantly hit me, and the familiar scent of vanilla candles. my dog, polly, came running to me. i petted her for a while before walking into the living room where my mom sat.

we spoke a little before i walked into my room. i changed into my pyjamas and sat on my bed, looking up at the roof. i really enjoyed watching the stars with finn, and it was weird. i usually didn't like having company when i looked at the sky, but finn made me feel ease, in the strangest way.

"i'm ordering chinese food, do you want anything?" my mom asked, poking her head around my bedroom door.

"sure." i replied.

i got up and got a few recent pictures out of the sky, sticking the little polaroids on the wall, adding them to my collection.

i hoped that i would have the same company the next day, like i did that day.

••••••••

first chapter, hope you enjoyed x