The man’s low voice was magnetic and husky, temporarily making her heart feel overwhelmed. She could only suppress her emotions. She pressed her lips together and her bright and clear eyes became slightly curved. She said, “Okay, I will try my best.”

She will try her best to adapt to their new life.

...... 

The rainy season was almost upon S City. The rain continued intermittently for several days and, suddenly, there was very little time left in Yi Ran’s winter vacation.

This day, she was outside. There was a light drizzle, and she stepped on the wet pavement, holding the umbrella in one hand. With her other hand, she firmly held the little boy’s hand. 

Gu Tai, still carrying his small school bag, bowed his head and muttered, “It’s too cruel. Even in this kind of weather, I still have to do my homework. 

“Who made you wait so late to do your winter vacation homework? Since you haven’t finished your homework, you deserve it.”

Last night, as Gu Tingchuan was dressing, he had helplessly said to her, “Tomorrow afternoon, bring Gu Tai out to have dinner with me. I haven’t spent much time with him this winter vacation so I should at least have a meal with him. Also, his winter vacation homework may require your supervision.” 

Gu Tingyong was busy at the branch, and Lin Yuanyu had also gone on a business trip abroad. When she learned by phone that her son still hadn’t completed his homework, she scolded the tutor and then called Gu Tingchuan to ask him to take care of it.

Yi Ran held the umbrella tilted toward the boy. “In a moment, you can tell me how much you still need to finish. We’ll wait for your uncle to finish his business meeting and then we’ll take you out for dinner.”

Jiaye was located in the bustling business district in S City, complete with countless high-rise buildings. There were also many financial companies as well as studios, TV stations and brokerage firms. As a result, it was a place celebrities often frequented.

In the afternoon, Gu Tingchuan met with several collaborators at a nearby coffee shop. Because they all had a fairly friendly relationship, half of the meeting was for catching up while the other half was to conduct official business. They drank and chatted with an open, relaxed atmosphere. 

The traffic in the area had always been quite congested, and it was even more difficult in rainy weather. After looking at the traffic conditions outside, Yi Ran told the driver, “It’s just around the corner. You can let us out here so you won’t have to detour around.”

The driver turned the steering wheel and slowly parked the car to the side.

Yi Ran took Gu Tai to an area thick with restaurants. Although the sky was foggy, they could still clearly see the figures not far away. 

She was wondering if Gu Tingchuan’s meeting had already ended when Gu Tai suddenly grabbed her wrist and refused to go any further. 

She paused and found that the boy’s gaze was blank as he stared unblinkingly at the front right. She followed his gaze and saw a young woman coming out of a western-style restaurant. The woman was holding on to the man’s arm and talking animatedly. 

Yi Ran didn’t have a good feeling about this. The girl was very young, with long curly hair. She held an umbrella, not caring that the rain was wetting her shoulder as she talked intently to the man in front of her. 

As for that man...he looked remarkably like Gu Tingyong. 

“Brother Tingyong, I can’t bear not seeing you again in the future. Even if it’s just meeting once in a long while, I will be content and won’t ask you for anything else…”

“Don’t come near me again. I should have said this clearly long ago. I won’t change my mind. My driver’s here. Nina, take good care of yourself.”

Gu Tingyong apparently ran out of patience and simply left her standing there while he strode to the other side of the street. 

The girl named Nina was sobbing heart-brokenly. After crying for a while, she took out her cell phone as if to call someone. 

Yi Ran observed this entanglement. The little Gu Tai apparently had very good eyesight. 

He suddenly let out a low chuckle, and his whole face displayed a gloom that didn’t match his age. Feeling vaguely distressed in her heart, she grabbed his hand and passed a little bit of warmth and comfort to him. 

She was still thinking about how else to comfort him. After all, this was the first time she had bumped into this kind of scene. 

Gu Tai calmly said to her, "Let's go. Uncle is waiting."