36

LTPC Chapter 36: Arriving Late

A few days later, when Yi Ran went home for dinner, Mother Yi asked if her son-in-law would be able to attend Friday night’s dinner. Yi Ran took a sip of juice, remembering that last night the man had said, “An important meeting just came up and will be held Friday night. I won’t be able to go with you. I’ll call mom tomorrow night and tell her.”

Although she felt a little lonely, she merely nodded and agreed. 

After she was done with her drink, Yi Ran took her mobile phone out and watched the video homework that had been submitted to the students’ parents. She said, “He had originally meant to come, but now a problem came up and he’ll have to meet with others on Friday. 

Father Yi held a glass of rice wine and said, “He’s busy from the start of the year to the end of the year. He really is a workaholic director. Can you two even talk to each other when you get home?”

Although the daughter had been married for some time now, the father and the son-in-law hadn’t seen each other much. However, Gu Tingchuan’s character was calm and every time he talked to his father-in-law, he was careful and focused. As a result, Father Yi’s impression of him was still very good. 

Yi Ran deeply felt that she was being insulted by her own biological father. She refuted angrily, “Of course, I can chat with him. I don’t just play computer, okay? Plus, I may only be a language teacher, but I do have some cultural knowledge.”

Mother Yi said, “Oh.” Then, she eyed Yi Ran meaningfully. "Okay, you two are in a good relationship. Now, your mother is getting older. When will you give me a grandson?"

"..."

Yi Ran was instantly suppressed. She buried herself in her meal and wanted to cry without tears. 

On Friday night, Yi Ran left the office after finishing the rest of her remaining work. Next week, she will have an open class on campus and must prepare for it within the next few days. 

Although Gu Tingchuan did not physically show up, he carefully sent the company’s car to meet her parents at home and then to pick her up at school. 

Father Yi had three siblings and was the fourth child in the family. Yi Ran’s cousin, Yi Jinting, was the child of one of the brothers and was able to have a more advantageous family conditions since young. However, because of the relationships between the previous generation, they grew up together. In addition to meeting at family events, they also occasionally go out to eat. 

"Of course, this Cantonese restaurant is Michelin-starred, and their food tastes very good. You see what you like."

i Ran was in a good mood and nodded along.

Yi Jinting’s mother turned to look at her and asked in front of the relatives, "Didn’t you say on the phone last time that you got married?"

Without hesitation, Mother Yi happily thought of her son-in-law and she smiled, her eyes narrowing into seams. However, she did not show off and seemed not to care much as she said, “Just to a decent son-in-law who makes film.”

Yi Jinting’s second husband, Xiang Dongsheng, asked curiously, "What’s his name? If he’s in the film industry, I might know of him.”

Mother Yi looked at her daughter and said nothing, but she knew that her son-in-law's family owned a major company and had high connections. It was much broader than them, so she answered vaguely, “Maybe you know…”

Yi Jin Ting, who sat next to Yi Ren, nudged her with an elbow. “Hey, I didn’t expect my sister’s husband to be like this. Hurry, are there any photos of your husband? Show me. "