08 | Portable

You know what, I take it back. Ms. Tolo Tolo is as foolish as Moana's chicken.

When I went to meet her, she said she'd noticed something 'fishing'-not 'fishy'- about the way he gave me the needle and thread; as though they were stolen. "They look like the ones I have been looking for since last week." She said, and that she'd probably left them somewhere she couldn't remember.

So, I appreciated her for such a wonderful suspicion that was not only stupid in every sense but an acute proof of her irredeemable insanity.

I knew I'd never see her as normal again.

*~*~*~*

I laid there on my bed thinking about what had happened today. Was he not the boy that told me he'd fuck me? And I had kissed him. What kind of a fool was I? The mad one or the semi-mad one? That's how bad I was when it came to self control. I'm the kind of girl you'd call the 'vavavoom', the touchy touchy voom, the kissy kissy do(alright, Omotara! Stop it!).

I'm most certain if he had gone very far, I would've gotten pregnant - On. The. Spot.

This is why I had to keep away from boys. Not because they're bad in themselves-except some specimens, like him-but because my hormones are far too active to care about being pregnant and losing my virginity. It's more like a the-heart-is-willing-but-the-hormone-is-weak situation. Maybe I'd go see Father Mba, next week. I just hope I don't get pregnant before then.

Lewechi was there, right in the room. We'd been gossiping, but when she noticed I had zoned out she'd continued her gossip with the juniors. I had contemplated telling her I'd met 'the boy', the one she once told me was half-Ghanaian half-Nigerian-moreover, I heard 'halfcaste' is an offensive word, but not in Nigeria. In Naija, half-castes are like sugary delicacies to Nigerian girls, maybe that's why he fucked so many girls up and down in whatsoever corner he could find-But telling her would worsen the matter.

She would ask questions to the last detail. And if she finds out we kissed! She would keep reminding me in all of our conversations till my last day in Saint Maria, and eventually on earth! No. I wouldn't tell her. After all, I wasn't going to encounter him again. It would be like it never happened.

"Senior Omotara." An annoyingly shrill voice zoned me back to reality. The room was dark, it was lights out and we had eaten watery beans for dinner. Heat and various unfortunate fragrances from our bowels were inevitable this night. Lord save me from suffocation.

"Tell us about Lady Koi Koi." Every boarding school had a few sacred scaredy tales, the likes of Lady Koi Koi, Bush Baby, The Invisible Basketballer, The Green-eyed Cat, The Nun, and other life-threatening stories of ghosts and the supernatural.

I loved telling them, as it scared the shit out of juniors! But I would end up not sleeping, myself. So, who was I doing? Them? or me? But the excitement of telling these horror stories would overtake me, strange for a girl who hates anything horror. Maybe because I'm a girl who's driven by instant gratifications. Maybe because this could work as a fine distraction from the whole of the day's ordeal.

"Okay, let's begin..." I said, recounting the stories to their exact details. Everyone was freaked out except Lewechi. She was fast asleep, snoring and puffing like a beast, but her beastly snores seemed to give my horror stories a well-deserved soundtrack.

In the end I wasn't able to sleep as my mind was preoccupied with all these beings. Sometimes, I wondered if they were real, if these things really happened and if many people had died seeing them. And I heard if you wondered too much, you'd encounter them. I'm sure I didn't want to faint my grave, so I had to think back to the kiss to distract me.