02 | Goodnight Tara

"I don't think so... I don't think they saw me," I said reassuringly, mentally canceling the thought of any confrontation.

"Who wouldn't ever notice you?" Lewechi teased. "Every second of your presence can't go unnoticed, darling. You've been busted!" She growled noisily.

"Shut up, alright." I hissed. "I wasn't caught!" I repeated, but even to me, it sounded more like a positive proclamation than a true exclamation.

"I'm sorry." Lewechi smiled extremely, with two mouth corners tugged up like the annoying, cute cartoon character: Mickey Mouse. "I'm in love." Lewechi shrieked, jumping on her bed. She laid face-down with her legs crossed in the air.

"Tell me about it," I sat cross-legged on my bed and watched her like I would destroy her any minute now. "Mhm? Go on."

"Noah and I talked." She clasped her hands ecstatically.

"Okay," I said plainly.

Lewechi grimaced. "Is that all you have to say? Okay?"

"What do you want me to say?" I spread my hands. Then with a voice tinted with mock adoration I spoke. "Aww. Lucky you. I'm sooo proud of you. You spoke to a boy named Noah. Isn't that sweet. Oh, when are you two getting married?" Lewechi just maintained her sweet smile. She was really dreamy right now. "What did you guys talk about?" I said, acknowledging the fact that I was bad at sarcasm.

Lewechi's smile quenched and then she breathed out dreamily. " He can't date, Tara, he's a pastor's son."

"Okay?" I said again, and she threw me spears, daggers and broken shards of glass with her eyes.

Honesty, I dislike the fact that sons of preachers could not do the things other boys do; if it's not bad of course. I sure do not expect a pastor's son or any sane boy to be found between the legs of a girl in the toilet!

Dating is not bad if done rightly. After all, he's a teen. But I didn't tell her all these.

"I'm older than him also, " she declared.

"How old is he?"

"Seventeen. I'm nineteen." She pointed to herself.

"Oka-" I stopped myself from completing the word and opted to clear my throat. "I think there's no problem at all."

"Hm." Lewechi drew up a corner of lips, "from a girl who's never had a boyfriend." She said.

"What?" I spread my palms. "It's true." I was getting angry already.

"How about your, " She raised her brows. "boo."

"Boobs? My boobs are right in front of me lady!"

She shot me another hard look. "Okay," I deflated. "I heard you, but I have no BOO!"

Lewechi smiled and turned to face the irons of the bunk above her, and her fingers trailed them. "Your boyfriend na! What do you think I'm talking about?"

"I just answered you!" I blurted and she shot me another bullet of a glare. "Okay... Okay." I smiled tentatively. "Never have I had a boyfriend in my life, " I paused, "and I don't want to." I know myself like the back of my... my... never mind. If I had a boyfriend today, I'd be pregnant the next second. Trust me, I get the urges quick. So, it's better for me to just abstain from any relationship at all.

"Are you sure it wasn't you and that boy today, in the toilet." Lewechi eyed me.

"You're lucky I shared this stuff with you, and would surely discourage me from giving you any more info, whatsoever, if you keep accusing me of being the less privileged in that toilet!"

"I'm sorry," Lewechi said turning to sleep as she draped herself with a blue, ocean-themed blanket.

I reclined on my own bed, thinking about all the times I had almost had boyfriends but dismissed them. Truth is, I was cute. My nose, long and aquiline, my eyes, always seeming weird and slanting, and my jaw; sharp and pointy in a way that looked unusually great.

But with great beauty comes a great swarm of boys. I've never really had to rest from boys' flirting in long while, and the fact that I play devil to any of their advances makes me look proud. I'm not. Although, I could be... egotistical at times.

I remember my first attempt at having a boyfriend-attempt. I almost lost my virginity. Not through rape, but willingly. We'd been alone in the sitting room, the whole house was empty. I kissed him first-my friend Taye. Then in seconds, we were shedding clothes, then boom! My mother entered. That was the incident that sent me to boarding school, with the promise that I'd never have a boyfriend in High School. Ever!

"Goodnight, Lewechi."

There was no response. She was fast asleep.

I yawned and balled myself up like a cub napping on its mother. Turns out my mother seems to be my bed in this case.

"Goodnight, Tara," I muttered to myself, drifting off to a world beyond toilets, familiar underwear, and two teenagers.