13 | And A News!

I arrived the hostel room all wet and shivering, desperately in need of warm clothes but my unsettled demeanor didn't seem to bother Lewechi and I noticed the burst of excitement in her voice when she ran from her bed. She almost did not take note of the wetness of my body as her larynx almost perforated my ear drums with witch-like shrieks! Trust me when I say; this girl is a witch!

"There's going to be an excursion!" She danced around, flashing her really white teeth in my eyes. I literally winced.

We had excursions to different places every year and she wasn't always this excited about them. Why was this one any different? Why was she all jumpy jumpy? There had to be something more.

"When is that?" I said, ridding my body of the wet clothes, standing only in bra and pantie which I'd remove soon.

"I don't know. The date's not out yet." She said almost breathlessly. "Finally, we get to move out of this cage!" 

My heart came to a screeching stop at that word, cage, the same word he, Chizutere Whatever Chen, had used to describe this hostel.

Hm.

Maybe it really was a cage after all... I mean, from the mouth of two or three...

I had my hands on my waist and my foot tapping the floor, "What do I do now?" I breathed. I wasn't cleared-headed at all the picture of me and Chen running in the— never mind it's complicated. At didn't even get my damn book anymore and right at that moment I felt, maybe, I was charmed or something you know — black magic. But no it was all me in my right senses, fraternizing with bad luck, bad blood and bad influence, probably.

Lewechi had paused and was staring at me.

"What?" I exclaimed disgustedly.

"You always know what to do Omotara, and you've never asked this question?..." What? Which question? "Is everything alright? Are you sure your head wasn't whacked with the ball?" Could you imagine this girl was practically searching my head for God knows what!

"Stop. Stop! Stop it!" I waved frantic hands at her, as though if she checked harder she'd that I had actually been staring at Chizutere for too long and unconsciously considering potential relationship. Boyfriend-girlfriend stuff. But thank God it was unconscious! Ha! I can and never will bring it to reality. So, it's still a tragedy — his case.

Somehow, I didn't want her to know. I couldn't entertain the thought of her filling my ears with him all day and adding him to her collection of nasty romantic dreams. She sleep-talked, and trust me, it was one big wahala! 

I had never been interested in football since I was a foetus. So, that's why when I had told her I was going to 'flex my skills', her eyes had almost fallen from their sockets.

Wait, who do you think I actually wore the jersey for? He? Of course not! It was her! — A perfect charade to make her think what I wanted her to think.

"Mhmm. So, where is the excursion venue this time around?"

"An excursion?!" One of them juniors squealed as a few of them just stepped into the room, except, Rosemary who had been here all along. Gentle and brooding on the corner of her bed, so engrossed in her own thoughts. I hoped it wasn't about boys. She was the quitest of them all and frailest too. Boys like Chizutere should never find her.

I regarded them with the corner of my eyes as they connected their hands and jumped, shouting like smaller witches — Lewechi sure has good apprentices — I thought I only saw that in Barbie movies. Strange. Head Witch Lewechi had sure influenced them more in nine months, than she had me in two years.

"Well," Her lips popped as though she was licking lollipop. "For the girls, it's Our Ladies Of Virtue Exarchy."

Lemme just tell you a short to-know about that school. First things first, you'd notice it can as well be shortened to LOVE, by taking the initials of all words after 'Our'. It's known to have the most beautiful girls in the state(but that's a lie. Not while I'm in Saint Maria), and as the name implies, they're all in for love. Boys strive to have girlfriends in this school, plenty of them. That's pretty much what I know.

"and for the boys..." She stretched the 'boys' so much so that I felt irritated already.

See?

See why she mustn't know about what's going on between Chizutere and me.

Wait...

What's actually going on between Chizutere and me?

Nothing. Nothing at all. Nothing to be bothered about.

How about her 'Noah'? I hadn't even asked of him.

"They are to go to Christ The King." She ended her speech, swinging her hands like she was controlling an orchestra, beaming with a rather stupid smile.

"Okay... And so?"

Instantly, she deflated as though she had expected me to connect some dots. "You don't know when to jump in excitement and when not too," She grimaced, eying me up and down.

"Okay. So, you'd rather I pull my under wears and run around naked, screaming 'Excursion babies! Excursion!" I frowned.

"Anyway it's because you haven't heard the real gist."

"Which is?" God! I was getting nerve-wrecked already. I picked my white towel that hung on the side of the wooden bunk and wrapped it round me, tucking the last edge into the already folded ones.

She tried to whispered, but her pitch only increased as she got to the end. "The two schools share one fence."

Holy smokes.

Was that the nonsense she wanted to tell me? So, it's not that they weren't too far apart. They shared a fence! I knew her excitement would somehow boil down to boys! 

When there's a fence and there's the girls on one side, and there's the boys on the other side, sex(es) is/are bound to happen.

People jump fences don't they?

My heartbeat slowed down. There's trouble.

***

Please, bear with me if there're any typos. I'll definitely fix them.

Quick Question: Why's she so worried?