Under The Mistletoe [Kuro/Mahiru]

Start from the beginning

He knew that psychological trauma was worse than physical ones. It was more painful and lasted much longer than mere injuries, if not forever. It was embedded into your brain and he didn't want Kuro to grieve over his death while hiding his suffering for a long time, much more so since Kuro was immortal. It was just painful to think of.

If only he could overcome his mortality, then he could be with Kuro forever then Kuro wouldn't have to suffer at all...

Apparently, while he was still heavily invested in his own thoughts, Kuro was reluctantly stirred awake from the contract and the first thing he saw was him frowning and his eyes hollow, which alarmed the vampire. The vampire also felt his heart become heavy from the contract linking the two, and almost immediately, concern washed over his being.

Mahiru yelped when he felt the arm that was around his waist pull him closer to the chest of the man he loved. He was about to adjust when he heard a familiar husky voice that was deepened by sleep,"You're thinking too much. I can literally feel how heavy your heart is from here. Go back to sleep, Mahiru. We'll talk about what's weighing your mind down later. It's way too early for this."

Mahiru was in a state of surprise for a seconds before he snapped back to reality, and he chuckled softly after he regained his senses. He turned his head up just a bit to meet those mystical red eyes that captivated his heart every time just by how beautiful and entrancing they were.

He leaned closer to his face, planting a gentle kiss on the other's lips. "Merry Christmas, Kuro," he whispered softly as he played with Kuro's long silky blue hair. A small smile was brought onto the latter's face as he kissed his forehead, muttering as well,"Merry Christmas to you too, Mahiru."

Mahiru grinned at that. The two of them, snuggled up close to each other with not a care in the world and holding the other protectively. It was just perfect. These were the types of moments where he felt as if nothing else mattered except for the man in front of him. No worries about vampires or the C3. Just both of them together, living in the moment and hoping it'll last forever.

Alas, he still had to make breakfast. He wanted to just stay with Kuro in the moment forever, but he knew he couldn't. It was just in his nature to keep things going. So, he attempted to sit up, out of the other's embrace.

Keyword: attempted.

Feeling the other shift in his movements and attempt to free himself from his embrace, Kuro frowned as he tightened the hold he had on the brunette and forced him down. He didn't want to let him go just yet. It was too nice of a moment to break so soon.

He groaned in protest as he kept his grip on the smaller male steady,"Don't go just yet... let's stay in this position a little longer. Breakfast or whatever you need to do can wait. Stay with me first. Stay with this cute cat right here."

Mahiru giggled softly which was music to Kuro's ears. The brunette shook his head,"Kuro, as cute as a cat you are, that does not make up for the fact that breakfast is the most important meal of the day and that I'm human while you're a vampire—"

However, saying those words reminded him of his darker thoughts that ran through his mind just now and he immediately quietened down. Kuro noticed this and frowned deeply, wondering what was weighing his lover's heart so down and how he could restore that smile back on his face.

"Hey, what's wrong? You've been acting weird since I've woken up. What's on your mind? You can talk to me about it," Kuro offered a listening ear as he stared at Mahiru's conflicted eyes with concern. This was worrisome indeed. His Eve (or lover) was usually happy-go-lucky — one of the traits he loved about him — so seeing him in such a state was alarming and concerning. He wanted to help him but he first needed to know what was going on.