Chapter 2

I slipped around the door and looked at my mom who was no longer on the phone but watching TV.

"Mom, you up?" I ask her.
"Mhm."
"What you doin' up?"
"That's my business."

I raise an eyebrow from behind her. This is strange because my mom's never up this late—or early. What's keeping her up? I know it ain't them anti-depressants because those are made to slow you down. Is she on a new drug? I shrug off her smart remark and my thoughts; I have school to worry about.

After 10 years, they finally pull up. I sigh in relief and walk to the back of the car, and get in the backseat into booming music.

"It's 6 in the morning—people tryna sleep—and y'all blasting music." I say to them.
"And?" Larry sarcastically asked. "It's time to get up anyway. It's Tuesday!"
I suck my teeth. "When you gon' let me whip this thing?"
"Yo young ass tryna drive?"
"What's that gotta do with anything?"

"Yo height," Laurent answers for his brother.

I'm 4'11.

I smack my lips. "Whatever!" I yell playfully, knowing I had just lost the "argument." Put myself in the front seat, and I can't even reach the gas petal.

As we approach the school, Lau turns the music down, and we pull into the parking lot. We get out of the car, and close the doors before Lau locks it.

"That line long as fuck," Larry complained.
"I know," Laurent agreed.

They're walking slow, so I leave them in the back. I need to get there as fast as possible. I'm in the line, and they're walking down the path. I smile in a smirk laugh before turning around. And as soon as I did, I hear screaming.

"They fightin'!"

I look over and I see the twins' tall figures. Are they fighting? I walk closer to find out that it isn't them, and sigh in relief then shake my head.

Really?
The second day of school?

These muthafuckas messy.

3 security guards rush out of school and push their way through the crowd to break it up.

"EVERYBODY, IN CLASS NOW!" The principal yells.

With that, the school scurries back into the line. Others to get in faster and some to maintain their spot. It didn't take long for us to get in. What do I do now? I thought to myself as I retrieved my backpack from the table. "You gonna go get breakfast?" Laurent asked me. I shook my head. "No. I think I'm just gon' talk to people until the bell ring." He nodded and took off towards the cafeteria with Larry. I look around for friends and see Whitney with her possee. She notices me, waves and I wave back. I was going to go the cafeteria because no one was really here, but I am stopped by a mysterious voice calling out to me: "Aye!" I turn around. "Come here." He's dark skinned with perfect teeth. He's cute..

"Yeah?"
"Who you?" He asked.
"Who you?"
He laughed. "I'm Jean."
"Rayne." He rubbed his chin hairs and nodded. "Watchu want?"
"Damn," he raised his hands laughing, "I just wanted to holla at you, ma."
"Wassup?"
"I uh see you around."
"Likewise."

He smirked at my remark and walked off. I don't usually talk to strangers. If I don't fuck with you, if you ain't talking business, we ain't got shit to discuss. I ain't into making friends 'cause these skeptical ass niggas and bitches will set you up.

I continued my walk to the cafeteria, but then I was stopped by someone whispering, "Psssst! Aye?"

I turn around and see an Hispanic girl with medium-length chocolate brown hair. She would be cute if she had herself together. Why people tryna fuck with me today?

"Um? Who you?"
"That's not important. Just stay away from him."
"Who?"
"Jean!"
"Why?"

"'Cause... he's... I... just stay away from him." I gave her a look because this bitch was telling me what to do, and I don't know her. "I know he seems like a nice guy, but remember: all that glitters ain't gold."

She stormed out of the bathroom. I raise my eyebrow in weirdness at this girl. I walk out behind her, and stare as she exits the first floor on the staircase. I felt an arm on my shoulder and I jump, and I look and it was Laurent. "Lau, you scared me!" I playfull pushed him.

"My bad!"

"It's coo."
"What happened to you?"
"Nothing, Lau," I walk up the stair case.

"Nothing."