Chapter 20

Mynce |

The New Year, the first day back to school and 2 weeks following had been coo'. Now it's crazy ass Friday. Luckily, we don't have to face the drama of Lincoln for 3 days because Martin Luther King Jr. Day is Monday.

I watched as Mynce grabbed a lot of food at lunch. "Why are you grabbing so much food?" She asks me.

"I'm grabbing food for 2 people."
"Oh. Okay."

We sat at the table and we all ate our lunch.  I'm aching for this day to be over with.

It came faster than expected. We're already in the car on the way home! Larry drives a lot more now that he's gotten his license! No Type by Rae Sremmurd played on the radio. I mouthed the words to song, flowed with the chill beat and relaxed. All the stress of school is lifting from my shoulders.

"I feel so squished back here!" Lau complained. I chuckled. I put Laurent in the back seat just so I can watch the chemistry between him and Rayne. Even though they shared their first kiss on Monday, their flirts are very light, as if it's only a crush. Anyway, it's not my relationship so they can take it as slow as possible. I'm glad they are.

 "Get used to it," Rayne nudges him.
"You're back here, so I guess I can," he tells her.

That's so cute! I look at Rayne's face, and she's smiling too. I can tell she's feeling butterflies in her stomach. I can tell because that's the same smile I gave Larry when he first started making me feel butterflies in my stomach.

I looked at Larry and he had a blank expression. He hasn't said a word the whole time we've been in the car!

"Larry?" I called for him.
"Yes?" He responded with his eyes still on the road.
"Are you okay?"
"Yes. Teachers just stressing me. Complaining too much."
"It's the weekend. Let's forget about 'em!"
"As you wish."

I just stare at him. I love the way he is, he's so perfect to me. Him and his family have gave to me a  love that had been stolen from me for so many years. I'm finally feeling real love, and I love every single one of them. Laurent and Rayne are basically siblings to me now.

I smile and look forward. Just then, I see a freight truck driving sloppily around the road. I squinted my eyes. Fuck is this? I put my glasses back on and look into the driver seat and I see that the driver, a hill billy looking man, asleep on the steering wheel.

"Oh shit!" I yell. Larry tries to turn away from the truck but he fails.

The car trips over a wheel, and our car flips over and keeps flipping, and flipping...

And flipping..

I wake up in a pile of shattered glass. I'm on my back and I struggle to turn over because of how weak I am. I can't move worth nothing. Every move I make, I am stopped because of the immense pain electrocuting my body. I hear what is sounds like.... Rayne screaming? I am seeing a world of different patterns, but I can see enough to see that my arm is hanging out of the car door.

Soon, I'm pulled out by 2 pairs of hands. Once I come back to the outside, I gasp for air. I open my eyes and vaguely see that it's Laurent pulling me out of the car. He keeps pulling me and pulling me until he can't anymore.

My right ankle and foot is stuck in the window of the backseat.

"Shit," Laurent says then walks to my right foot and tries to get it out of the car. I look at him, and he's cover in bruises and blood. He's also very weak. I look over and see that the car has crashed into another car and is spinning off course and headed back to our car. "Lau," I say, "Don't worry about me. Save the others." He looks at the car down the street and then looks at me with weary eyes. "Please," I beg him before he can say anything. He nods then gets up.

He finds Rayne first. The impact was been so bad, she sprawled from in the back behind the driver's seat to the passenger's seat. Laurent grabs her through the broken glass. "It's me. Laurent." Rayne is bad. She can't keep her eyes open. Her nose is bleeding. "Where's Mynce? Where's Larry?" She asks. Laurent assures her that he's found us and sits her down far from the car.

He then finds Larry and pulls Larry out.  "Larry! Séjour avec moi! Séjour avec moi!" (Stay with me! Stay with me!) I hear him scream. Larry asks where I am and Laurent tells him I'm stuck behind in the car and Rayne is okay.

"She's still in the car, Larry!" Rayne yells!

Then, with those words, Larry rushes over to me and tries to help. "I'm gonna get you outta here," he tells me. I cry silently looking at him. I know there's no hope for me. I look at the car and it's very close to the car.

"Larry," I place my bloody, weak arm on his shoulder, "I love you."

"Don't forget about me."

Larry gives me a look of distraught. "What--"
"Grab him!"

Laurent and Rayne come over and try to grab him back from the car as far possible. "Mynce!" he yells yells trying to fight them off. I watch him and close my eyes while still silently crying.

"You can't go back, brother!" Laurent warns him, "You see that car!" He points to the car, "You'll die" Larry looks at the car and see that it's headed right towards me, but he doesn't give a damn; he still tries to save me. "I don't care about that!" He tries to jerk his arms from Laurent's grip. "I need to save my love." Hearing him refer to me as "my love" breaks my heart even more. He does love me so much.

"Larry you can't go!" Rayne yells.
"Mynce, I'm coming!" He yells trying to get out of their grip, but he can't.

I look in front of me and I'm instantly blinded by the bright headlights of the semi-truck.

I did not scream.
I did not cry.

                I just accepted my fate.