Chapter 23

October 31st

The White House

Caroline and John burst through the door into the Oval Office where Jack sat quietly working. "Mwahahahahaha!" They cried out in unison. It was Halloween. Jack laughed as his children danced around in their witch and goblin costume. Jackie followed with a black cover over her face, pretending to be a ghost. She took some photographs as her children amused her husband. 

"Ah!" Jack cried out. "You're too scary!" Jack loved joking around with his children. Jackie watched on in amusement. As the children flopped onto the sofa, Jack went over to his ghoulishly-dressed wife. "Hey darling" Jackie smiled. She lifted up her mask before she and Jack passionately kissed. The cover fell over the back of his head so it was completly hidden. 

Of course, the Kennedy children quietly giggled. 

"What are the Halloween plans?" Jack asked, as he headed back over to the desk. "Well the kids and their friends insist on telling scary stories in the Lincoln Bedroom" Jackie explained. Caroline lept off the sofa. "Cause it's haunted!" Caroline gave another evil laugh before John followed. Jack seemed impressed. 

"Remember to watch out for the ghost of President Lincoln" Jack reminded them. They nodded. "They plan to have a small Halloween party in the schoolroom upstairs" Jackie added, taking their hands. Both of the children nodded. Jack smiled. "Have fun!" He called as they headed out. 

Later that night, John was already in bed and asleep but Jack wanted to personally tuck in his daughter. "Tonight was so fun daddy" Caroline grinned, climbing into bed. "It certainly looked like it" Jack smiled, taking his daughter's witch hat off and sitting it on the sofa in her room. 

"Thanks for coming up to tell some stories with us" Caroline thanked her father and she got under her covers. "I loved the one about that man that was chased by the witches over the bridge. And his horse lost his tail" Caroline giggled. "Tam o'Shanter?" Jack asked. Caroline nodded. Jack explained how he had heard it when he went to Britain when he was younger. 

Jack kissed his little girl goodnight. "Goodnight daddy" Caroline smiled, as Jack turned off her light. "Goodnight buttons" Jack smiled. He closed the door as he watched his daughter close her eyes.