Chapter 9

Stables

Oak Spring Farm

Jack arrived at the stables dressed in an old Harvard jumper and some blue slacks. Caroline was mounted on Macaroni and Jackie wasn't brushing at Sardar, instead at Sagebrush, her trusty steed.

"What happened to Sardar?" Jack asked. Jackie stopped brushing Sagebrush and turned around to see her husband. "Well, he's still at Glen Ora" Jackie smiled.

Jack went up and hugged his daughter. "Have you looked after Macaroni?" Jack asked Caroline, helping her down. Caroline nodded. "Yep, brushed him, fed him, and let him get some exercise. He's resting now" Caroline smiled, taking her father's hand. 

Jackie sat down her brush before she readied her saddle. "Want to watch?" She asked. Jack nodded, in unison with his daughter. Jackie rode slowly on Sagebursh to the gate leading to the two acres of land reserved for riding. Jack closed the gate before helping Caroline up onto the wooden fence to watch. 

Together they watched as Jackie lept over hurdles, clearly showing her life-long dressage skills. Both of them had to admit, even though Jackie was the famous First Lady, she was every inch her best; as a horsewomen. After about ten minutes, Jackie slowed down her mighty mare and climbed off before heading back for a rest. 

Caroline and Jack clapped. "That was wonderful mummy!" Caroline grinned, jumping down from the fence. Jackie thanked her. She added that Caroline could be just as good if she keeps on practising to which Caroline acknowledged. 

Caroline then dashed off to find her brother, while Jackie removed her riding cap. Jack stepped forward and pushed the stray hairs that stuck to her face, to the side. They passionately kissed.