External pressure

"Welcome to Terranea Spa Resort." a woman with a way to wide smile is waiting for us as our taxi has dropped us off at the entrance of the hotel. "My name is Kimberly and I will be your personal assistant for the next 3 days."

"Nice to meet you." My mother nods politely to the woman, where Lily is completely overwhelmed by the American hospitality or as Luca likes to call it; American fakeness. Mix between fake and sweet. I remember the first time Luca and I actually sat down for a conversation. I asked him why he didn't had any American friends. He always describes Americans as acquaintances and never as friends. He told me that he simply doesn't like Americans because it's hard to build a 'real' friendship. Everyone is nice and supportive in your face but say the most horrible things about you behind your back to others. I never experienced that but I do get that for us Dutchies, who are quite straight to the point and maybe aren't that sociable, can be shocked by the American extravaganza. I particularly don't really mind. It's not like I let people anyway. Dutch or American, I don't really care. I keep my circle small.

"Miss Williams?." She says, what makes the three of us respond at the same time. All of course are a Williams. Lils and I by blood. My mother by marriage. "Rose Williams." She clarifies.

"Yes, that is me." I already grab my wallet, knowing that she wants my card. I can see in the woman's eyes that she recognizes me. It's strange, the kind of senses you develop as you grown into a certain world. For me, I have always been conscious about what was going on around me but since I have been somewhat well known, those senses only became stronger. As weirdly as that sounds. Okay, yeah that's strange. I cannot really explain it. Let's move on.

"Do you wish to pay before or after the treatment?."

"I doesn't matter for me. Now is fine as well." I have to pay anyway.

"Very well."- she nods as she grabs a booklet. "Our manager has a proposition for you.."- let me guess... "He will let you stay for free if."-
Ah, there is the if. "you post some pictures and videos in promotion for our resort."

In this world, people always want something from you. It's hard sometimes. I am not going to lie to you about it but luckily, I have created a circle of people I trust around me. Who I know do not want anything from me and where I can be 100% myself. You really need that in your life. Especially it so many people around who constantly want something from you.

"O no, that is not necessary. I really need a couple of days away from social media."- the resort has a confidentiality code and cannot say to anyone that I am here. If they do so, they can expect a lawsuit from my lawyers but let's hope it will not get to that. As I said, I really need some peace and quiet.

"Alright."- I can see in the woman's face that it's not the answer she was hoping for and she even seems a bit annoyed but nevertheless, she keeps that creepy smile plastered on her face. "Than the subtotal will be 6.749 dollar."

"Here you go." And hand her my black card.

"This is so nice." Lily says as she walks into the room with a white bathrobe on and sits down in one of the two armchairs on the opposite side of the couch I sit on. "I feel like I am 10 years younger."

"Well, I hope not."- I chuckle softly as I put my smoothie glass down next to me on the little table. "That would make you 8." She was a horrible 8 year old. I am sure that you know a kid who is extremely loud, extremely annoying and already a bitch even though they haven't reached the age of 10? Well, for me that was Lily. Thank God her character around the age of 16, otherwise I don't know if I would have let her live. "We all know what a terrible kid you were."

"Not everyone is the perfect, boring kid you were."

"Are. I still am the perfect kid." I promised my mother that I would pay for a holiday for her and my dad to the Maldives. In one of those little water villas you see on the Internet. As I was saying; I am the perfect kid.