The one with the understanding

Dylan's pov

"When... when Cole asked me if I would marry him, I said yes." She looked up at me with an apologetic expression. "I regret saying yes." She whispered.

My mind quite literally tangled up into knots. She regrets saying yes to marrying Cole? I took a few minutes, needing to try to calm down before I yelled at lily. How could she regret saying yes?! Cole and her have been dating for two years! What's was there to say no about? She loves him immensely and I knew that. And I knew Cole loved her of course.

"You what?" I hissed.

"I'm sorry! But... I can't marry him." She whispered.

"Why not?" I snapped as she sat down on her couch.

"Because I can't!" She shouted at me, gripping the couch cushions under her legs with both hands.

"Why not?!" I yelled loudly and she glared at me.

She sat quietly, holding back the answer to my question as she looked down at the ground. I sighed as I sat down on the couch beside her.

"Sorry... I didn't mean to yell." I apologized.

She shook her head. "It's okay. I deserve it."

"No, you don't lils. You're-" I let out a frustrated growl. "You're just making me crazy... that's why I yelled."

She stayed quiet. "How am I making you crazy?" She spoke softly.

I heaved a breath, puffing it out noisily before looking at her. "You gotta work with me Lils. Tell my why you regret saying yes. Tell me why you can't marry Cole." I pleased. "What has he done wrong? What was his fault?"

She shook her head. "He did nothing wrong." She whispered, her eyes becoming wet. "He's been nothing but the love of my life for the past 2 years of my life... and I want to marry him- really I do, very much." She sniffled, looking up at me with teary eyes. "But it would be wrong of me. It would be selfish of me." She put a hand to her chest as she said the last sentence.

"And why the hell would it be selfish of you to marry the person you love?" I asked annoyedly.

"Because I'll be no good to him in the future." She growled and my annoyed face faltered for a second.

"What does that mean?" I asked her, my voice low again.

"It means I can't give him a family." She explained when she saw my face switch to confusion for a few split seconds. "I can't marry him because in the future when he wants a baby, I can't give him one. He says he doesn't care, but he will. And it would be so selfish of me to marry him, to marry one of the only people who make me happy. Because if we get married, I get Cole all my life. And Cole gets... nothing." Tears streamed down her face now.

"You're wrong. He knows you can't have kids, so he wouldn't have proposed if he wasn't ready for that. And Cole doesn't get nothing..." I wrapped my arm around her shoulders, letting her lean against me. She leant her head on my shoulder as I talked and she listened. "He gets you." I whispered.

"That's not good enough!" She cried. She wrapped her arms around my neck and I cried into my shoulder. I rubbed her back, letting her get it all out.

When she was done I leant down and pressed a kiss to her cheek. "Listen to me lils. I didn't want to tell you this... but I'm gonna because it'll change your mind." I sighed. Cole would beat me up if he found out I told lily this after he told me not to. "Cole told me he doesn't care for kids. He seriously couldn't care less if he never had a kid. Then he said "even if I don't want one, and lily did, I'd do anything I could to give her one.' " I told lily and her face softened.